New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Power Macintosh G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Linux User

Linux User is on a distinguished road

I have an old Power Macintosh G4 with NO operating system or official CD and I'm NOT willing to to buy the official OS (mainly because it sucks)
is there a way to boot from a CD/USB drive?
I already know how to make a bootable USB/CD and ive installed OS's this way many times before, I just don't have much experience with the older Mac hardware
Just so you know I have OS's with PowerPC, I386 and X86 architectures at my disposal
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

What OS do you want to install on it (you didn't really say)?

FYI...you mentioned having "OS's with PowerPC". This is exactly the type of OS that the Powermac G4 was designed for. Mac OS X versions 10.0 thru 10.5 were all PowerPC OS's.

Sure you can boot the computer from a CD. This is the format that the Mac OS came in for OS's 10.0 thru 10.4.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Trust you are not considering downloading pirated operating systems. Well known malware lurk there.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Linux User

preferably i would like to install the PPC version of Lubuntu
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to this link and download the bottom option, Mac PowerPC:-

Lubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin)

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Linux User

Ive already downloaded that how to I boot it?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux User View Post
Ive already downloaded that how to I boot it?
Assuming you downloaded the disc image noted in the link Harry provided above, you'll just need to use the burning tool of your choice to write it to disc.

Pop the disc in the Mac, power it off and back on again. Immediately press and hold the 'C' key (or press and hold the alt/option key, to see the boot menu) and it should be pretty self-explanatory from there.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

And I believe you will have to burn the image on a Mac. If you have access to another Mac, drag the image to the left hand pane of Disk utility, pop in a DVD and hit the burn button.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drive failed, need help getting a new one. | Use iMac monitor as security monitor »