New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Connecting two 20" Cinema Displays (A1081) to Early 2011 13" Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

happyforyou

happyforyou is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 2.5 GHz i5 iMac

Can't believe how difficult it is to find the exact scenario I find myself in…

I have an early 2011 13" MBP that I hope to connect two 20" ACD's (model #A1081) to. Is this a possibility? If so, in addition to the $29 MiniDisplay to DV adapter, what else do I need to get the second ACD set up?

The only similar scenario I was able to find used two 30" ACD's and it was not successful.

Thanks for any suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Matrox dualhead2go - link

If you haven't found a ton of google results try searching for "Macbook Pro dual monitors"

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyforyou View Post
The only similar scenario I was able to find used two 30" ACD's and it was not successful.
FYI. In order to connect one of the older 30" ACD's to newer MBP's...you need the $99 dollar Dual Link DVI adapter:

Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

How do I know...I have 30" ACD connected to a 2011 MBP (with the $99 adapter).

This doesn't solve how to connect two of these 30" displays to a 2011 MBP...but it explains how to properly connect one.

As far as your situation. The Thunderbolt port does allow for multiple external displays...but you need to purchase Thunderbolt capable external monitors ($$$$ Big Bucks $$$$).

Realistically...Apple laptops & iMacs are really setup to easily attach a single external display. Attaching multiple external displays with these computers gets more difficult and/or expensive. It's not impossible...just harder & more expensive.

If you REALLY need a lot of external displays...desktop Mac Pro's are definitely better suited for this need.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
happyforyou

happyforyou is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 2.5 GHz i5 iMac

Sorry, bobtomay... I should have been more clear. I did google extensively on this topic and none of the scenarios matched mine, which is why I came here. Thank you for the link. I'll have to take a closer look at that, though it seems more geared toward Windows.

pigoo3, thank you very much. I read your posts about the 30" monitors and was hoping you would respond! Not able to switch to the Thunderbolt displays just yet, just stuck with a pair of A1081's at the moment. I have a Mac Pro1,1 but given Apple's propensity for surprising unsuspecting customers (and their wallets), I suddenly cannot run the new release of Logic X, which is why I asked about the 2011 MBP using the two ACD's from my now defunct 2006 MBP forever lodged at 32-bit obsolescence

Thanks for the replies. I'm now a single-monitor muso for the time being.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, it's not more for Windows.

Your other option will be to use the mdp to DVI adapter for one monitor and a USB to DVI adapter for the 2nd monitor - something like this.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyforyou View Post
Not able to switch to the Thunderbolt displays just yet, just stuck with a pair of A1081's at the moment. I have a Mac Pro1,1 but given Apple's propensity for surprising unsuspecting customers (and their wallets), I suddenly cannot run the new release of Logic X, which is why I asked about the 2011 MBP using the two ACD's from my now defunct 2006 MBP forever lodged at 32-bit obsolescence
Thanks a lot for all the "situation details". A completely understandable situation...and I see where you are coming from wanting/needing all the monitors.

One suggestion that may seem like a lot of work...but may be a nice solution in the long term. Sell the old Mac Pro 1,1...then get at least a Mac Pro 3,1 or 4,1.

With the 3,1 or 4,1 you get (as I figure you may know):

- 64 bit EFI
- 8 cores
- able to run the latest OS (Mavericks)

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple keyboard malfunctioning | Trying to find some info on a genuine Apple leather laptop bag »