Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TP-Link router suddenly disappeared
    hi. I bought: TP-Link TD-W8961ND 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router

From Amazon in October 2012. It has worked perfectly supporting 2x Windows Desktop, 1x Windows laptop, 1x Mac desktop, 1X iPad, 1x iPod, 3X Samsung Telephones.

Suddenly the Mac Mini can't see the router in System Preferences at all ( I am connected via son's personal line.) It just vanished and nothing I can do seems to be able to find it again. It is still visible and working on all the other systems. Any Ideas??

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    Were you connected by ethernet cable or wi-fi?

Did you lose connection while you were using it? or was it there one day and gone the next time you came to use the Mini?
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

hi. Thanks for taking time to look at this. I was connected via WIFI, like all the other kit listed. There is nothing connected to the router by ethernet. I tried to get mail one morning on starting my mac, and found I couldn't connect. I also couldn't get Safari or Firefox to connect. My first thoughts were to look at the state of the router in system prefs, only to find it not there. So I went through the normal procedures of re-booting the router. I checked with other equipment and found I could see the router on all devices other than my mac mini. That state remains up until now. thanks again

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    So you click the wifi icon in the menu bar top-right and your network doesn't appear in this list? Do any other nearby networks appear?

Where in System Preferences are you looking?

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

That's precisely correct. I click the little wave-front icon and see three available n/w. All password protected. Two are neighbours and one is son who has his own phone line and router. I have his p/w so have connected through his router. I can't keep leeching off my son for ever. He got his own phone line and router to get away from our family access point.

In System preferences I can either click on the router I am already connected to, and ask to: Join Other Network, or of to Advanced and see the other networks, or go to Assist me, and I see the other networks. I can't see the TP-Link box in any of those places.

Specs:
    That's rather odd (though I guess you know that!).

If you can connect to other networks that suggests the Mac Mini is ok and other devices can connect ok to the router so that sounds ok..... very odd.

Is it practical to try connecting by Ethernet temporarily? Just to determine if it's a generic networking issue or whether it's solely a wifi issue?

You can see my conundrum. Both systems work fine, but just not with each other. I have not tried to connect mac to router via ethernet, because frankly it's going to be really difficult to do. What I had planned to do next was change the router for a backup I have, and see if it makes any difference. My other thought was to wonder if somehow I picked up a rogue cookie cutting this specific machine through that specific router. But I cleared all cookies and it's made no difference. It was a very long shot anyway, I know. I am baffled. Thanks again for your input

Specs:
    cookies don't do that kind of thing.

If someone has changed the router to apply MAC (that's network address not Apple Mac) filtering or restricted IP addresses or the SSID has become hidden. Then maybe you'd have connection issues.

Try resetting your network configuration completely:

In Finder go to:
    yourMacHD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Rename the preferences.plist to preferences.old

Restart your Mac

Attempt to reconnect to your network and try again

If that doesn't work then do the same thing but for the whole SystemConfiguration folder that the above plist is in.

Hi. Thanks for taking time to consider this conundrum. I have just tried both those things, in order, as you suggest. (I wouldn't have thought of either of these methods) But to no avail. The same available networks remain available, TP-Link is not showing, but I am still connected via iPad through TP-Link. SO…. no change. It's most frustrating. But thanks anyway

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Any thunderstorms within fifty miles or so lately?
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

No, not at all. And anyway, my mac is still perfect and the router still perfect, just not talking to each other. thanks

Specs:
    If you log into the router:
    1. Is the SSID hidden?
    2. What level of security is in place? (wep, apa, wpa-psk etc)
    3. What type of wireless (g, n, ac)?
    4. Any MAC address filtering on?

hi. Thanks for taking interest in my conundrum. As mentioned in the earlier posts, this was working for over 18 months before vanishing, so I must confess that my lack of expertise would lead me to believe that if I changed nothing, and it used to work, then it still should. But then, as I say, I am no expert.

I have to say that to log into the router via ethernet is going to be extremely difficult, and I don't believe there's a way to get at the management of the box other that ethernet. I will have to give your questions some consideration, I am afraid, as getting at the answers may not be simple. As far as I know the SSID is not hidden (all other users are still attached without changing their attachment) WEP/2, I believe is the p/w level. It is an 'n' router and I don't believe there is MAC filtering in place.

As I say, would these settings be susceptible to change, in some way, without me knowing?? I'd be pretty worried if they could. Thanks again for your help

Specs:
    You will be able to access the settings wirelessly from your iPad.

But you're completely correct nothing should have changed and certainly not to impact a single machine.

Clutching at straws. Can you:
    1. reset your pram/smc on your Mac Mini
    2. try a new user and see if that has the same issue?

Hi. Thanks for your determination!!! I tried the Pram reset. No change. Logged in as Guest - no change. It's frustrating huh. I need to look up how to log into the router from iPad - never done that before. cheers!

Thread Information