New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Drag files to Time Capsule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pjbeckett

pjbeckett is on a distinguished road

I just set up my Time Capsule. It is connected wirelessly to my iMac. I am trying to drag files from my iMac to the time capsule. I get the message, "Modifying ' name of time capsule' requires an administrator name and password. To move 'file name', click Authenticate." But there is no Authenticate button. What should I do?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Hello,
I don't think that you can do this. You are effectively trying to drag files into the back up folder created by TM.

What you can do I believe is click on the TM icon in Finder's Devices list, click Command-Shift-N which will create a new folder that you can name in the usual way and drag your files and folders to there.

That said these files will exist on their own. If you've already set TM up to back them up already it seems unnecessary effort to me. TM is an auto-back up and once it's done it's first one which may take some time it just does incremental back ups for stuff you change along the way.

Did you let TM perform it's first full back up?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

In Finder - highlight the TC in the sidebar

On the right side - at the top - you should see either:
'Connected As... your user name' and a 'Disconnect' button
or
'Not Connected' and a 'Connect As...' button

You will use that 'Connect' button to authenticate.

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 4.21.27 AM.png (104.8 KB, 12 views)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Once connected - You need to open the drive.
You'll notice in the right box - the 'Data' folder is called a 'Sharepoint'
That means it is a drive - if you are trying to add a file here - it thinks you are trying to add a drive to the Time Capsule.
Thus, you can't drag into the top folder (your Time Capsule) without opening the drive.

Double click on the 'Data' folder to open the drive.
You'll see your TM backups there and this is actually the root of the drive and you should now be able to create new folders and drag data over to the drive.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Here's an example connected to my HTPC (for those that may have partitioned their TC into multiple partitions).

You'll notice 3 'Sharepoints'
Those are the drives and folders that are being shared.
In order to move files to/from my Windows box - one of those Sharepoints needs to be opened.

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 4.50.29 AM.png (112.1 KB, 9 views)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Express/Blu-ray player lost communication | Soundsticks 3 malfunction »