New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bob_R

Bob_R is on a distinguished road

What are some of the better external hard drives for a Mac 10.6.8?

thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
iTz inThezone

iTz inThezone has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD not retina xD

Hey,

I highly recommend Lacie hard drives. They are extremely reliable. I have a bad history with Western Digital, and several other big name companies, they just don't last. Lacie has a wide variety of hard drives, to fit all different kinds of computers. It really comes down to what you are looking for, or what you need. Do you need/have USB 3.0? Does your Device have Thunderbolt? Is this going to be a sitting in a fixed location, or are you going to be carrying it around?

I have the Lacie Porsche Design P'9223. I got it because the 128GB SSD on my actual computer is very small. It has USB 3.0 so the transfer speed is great. However, if your device does not have USB 3.0 then make sure you pick up the USB 2.0 option.

This has been the best HD I have ever owned.
LaCie - LaCie Porsche Design P

Hope this helps!
iTz
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

You pays your buck and takes your chances as all hard drives fail sooner or later. Shop around for the best value and best warranty. Seagate were offering five years some time ago. Currently, OEM is three years.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

These days if you crack the case open you will probably find they are either made by Western Digital or Seagate no matter the brand on the outside of the case.
My Lacie had a Seagate inside.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I gave up on Seagate after a set of crashes. Now use WD MyBook drives. So far, so good. I do have one LaCie ruggedized drive and it's also pretty good.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_R

Can I use this one with my Mac 10.6.8 WD My Passport 1TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive Silver WDBLUZ0010BSL-NESN - Best Buy

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You can, but IMO you'd be wasting your money on buying a drive that's USB 3.0 capable since your machine can only do USB 2.0. Unless you're planning on buying a new machine soon, I would look for a USB 2.0 external drive. You should be able to find one on sale from an on line reseller.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

On the other hand, it should be backward compatible to USB2 and when/if you upgrade the MBP, you'll get higher speeds of USB3. Just a thought...

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_R

thanks guys! Here's another one:

The specs read System Requirements Mac: OS X Lion or Mountain Lion

I have Snow leopard 10.6.8

EDIT: I found out the kit comes with a USB 3 cable.

My MAC is USB 2? Yes or No?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't tell us which Mac you have but I'm assuming since you're still running Snow Leopard, it's likely equipped with USB 2.0 ports not 3.0.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

All the current generation of external drives are going to be USB 3. Don't think any of the major players are still making USB 2 drives, so you'd have to find someone that still has some last gen drives in stock. Everyone has had those WD passport drives on sale recently at very good price points - I picked up a 500 GB one so the wife could start keeping a clone backup along with the TM backup I already had running. We'll see how good they are as time goes on.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You didn't tell us which Mac you have but I'm assuming since you're still running Snow Leopard, it's likely equipped with USB 2.0 ports not 3.0.
Thanks to you and everyone else.

Yes, I have a MAC with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Purchased in November 2009.

Here's where I'm a little confused.

The aforementioned drive is USB 3 but claims it's USB 2 compatible. I checked the documentation and it comes with a USB 3 cable.

If I were to purchase it how do I connect it?

Sorry, if this is a stupid question. trying to learn.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
The aforementioned drive is USB 3 but claims it's USB 2 compatible. I checked the documentation and it comes with a USB 3 cable.

If I were to purchase it how do I connect it?
USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB 2.0 so the drive will run at USB 2.0 speeds. As for the cable, you must use the cable supplied because USB 2.0 cables are not compatible with the USB 3.0 female connector on the drive. However, the other end (male connector) is the same for USB 2.0 and 3.0. In other words, it will work with the ports on your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« which headphones is the best for travel | Old Back Up from windows PC , need new back up for MacBook Air without No space :( »