New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Apple Cinema Display query

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

born_to_hula

born_to_hula is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 Mini i5, 2.5GHz, 8GB & 2011 Mini i5, 2.3GHz, 8GB both with 20" Apple Cinema Displays

I have a 20 inch Apple Cinema Display (aluminium model).

I don't have a Mac here to attach the screen to, but out of curiosity plugged the power cord in to the mains and pressed the power button on the side to see if it would at least power up. Nothing happens.

I see what looks like a tiny hole, bottom right on the front of the aluminium surround. Is it a power indicator that should light up when the display is connected to the mains or does the screen only turn on once all the other various cables are connected as well? Or is the screen knackered?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Did you try connecting to your PC's DVI cable?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
born_to_hula

Mac Specs: 2012 Mini i5, 2.5GHz, 8GB & 2011 Mini i5, 2.3GHz, 8GB both with 20" Apple Cinema Displays

Thanks for your reply.

As I said above, I don't have a Mac (or PC) here so cannot connect the display to anything other than the mains power.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I know my older 22" Cinema just before they went to aluminum when plugged in does nothing till it detects a signal from the computer.

I just tried it and the light came on and went off. You get nothing when you plug it in and press the button? That Pinhole I am pretty sure is the power light.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_to_hula View Post
As I said above, I don't have a Mac (or PC) here so cannot connect the display to anything other than the mains power.
You need to get a computer to help with the testing.

This is like saying...I have a lawn mower...but I don't have a lawn to test it on.

Get a computer that you can plug this monitor into to do some proper testing!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
born_to_hula

Hi pigoo3
, thanks for replying.

''This is like saying...I have a lawn mower...but I don't have a lawn to test it on''

Not really: I'd still be able to start the mower to see if it worked... which is what my original question was about: should the display at least power on, even thought the other cables aren't connected?
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

Oh you really need to have or atleast borrow a pc so you can try it
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Hi pigoo3
, thanks for replying.

''This is like saying...I have a lawn mower...but I don't have a lawn to test it on''

Not really: I'd still be able to start the mower to see if it worked... which is what my original question was about: should the display at least power on, even thought the other cables aren't connected?
As stated, it might well power on, but without any video signal, it might not show anything at all. Just powering it on isn't akin to starting your mower, it is the same as pouring gas in it and assessing that it's working OK. The actual starting part of it is like feeding the video signal..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The purpose of a lawn mower is to cut the grass. If the mower runs but you have no grass to cut...then you don't know for sure if the lawnmower will cut grass!

Same with this Cinema Display. If you don't have a computer to attach it too...you cannot be 100% sure that it works.

Another way of looking a it. Someone could purchase a BRAND NEW computer monitor...but without a computer to plug it into...you cannot be 100% sure that it works.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What he is asking though is should the power light come on when he presses Power with no computer connected? I answered but my knowledge is limited to the older plastic Displays. Never used the newer ones so not sure. Mine comes on and goes off unless there is a signal.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
What he is asking though is should the power light come on when he presses Power with no computer connected?
Yeah I know this is what the OP wants to know...but it would really be best to test a monitor with an actual computer.

@born_to_hula:

I did a test with my 30" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display...which I have no reason to believe wouldn't work the same as the 20" ACD. When I did the testing...the monitor was NOT plugged into a computer.

- If the monitor is connected to "the mains" AND the power button has NOT been touched...the little light in the bottom right corner is NOT on.
- If the monitor is connected to "the mains" AND the power button has been touched...the little light in the bottom right corner should be on.

There's the answer. I still recommend plugging this monitor into a computer to properly test it...just in case there is something else going on that would impact whether this monitor is working properly or not.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I Can't take music from a stick to the MAC | logitech rumble pad 2, not working accurately »