New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Late 2013 27" iMac ram slots?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pibolar

pibolar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone6

hi guys

i ordered my new imac with the standard 8gb of ram (2x4gb) i have just ordered from crucial a 16gb (2x8gb) upgrade, i will install this and ave a total of 24gb of ram

my question is, does it matter which size sticks go in which slots?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Not really as long as they are matched. Say 2x8Gb in slots 1 and others in slots 2.

With the model before experimented with 2 x 2 in 1 and 2 x 4 in 2, changed around and no difference whatsoever.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
FijiArchitect

FijiArchitect is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2013 iMac i5 Processor 8GB RAM, 1TB HD

I have a 27" iMac and am looking at upgrading the RAM to the maximum capability possible for this model. Also thinking about upgrading to a SSD.

My question in relation to this post is do I have to order the RAM and SSD from Apple and do I have to get an official Apple Supplier to install these items to ensure that warranty does not become invalid?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
My question in relation to this post is do I have to order the RAM and SSD from Apple and do I have to get an official Apple Supplier to install these items to ensure that warranty does not become invalid?
Memory upgrades on a 27" iMac are a user do it yourself project and the memory can be purchased from any good supplier. (We recommend OWC or Crucial.)

However, and this is important.... you can not install a SSD by yourself to your new iMac without possibly voiding your warranty. But more importantly, opening up a new iMac is not a user do it yourself task and should only be accomplished by an experienced Apple certified technician. Ask yourself if you really need a SSD and are willing to pay to have it installed?
QUOTE Thanks
FijiArchitect

FijiArchitect is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2013 iMac i5 Processor 8GB RAM, 1TB HD

Thanks for that chscag, in terms of performance I found that with the SSD in my old macbook was really good for the work that I do (architectural documentation and 3d concepts), hence the desire to upgrade the iMac. However if the cost factor becomes
prohibitive then I'll just live with the HDD. Will still upgrade the RAM though, any ideas
how much I'd be looking at for SSD upgrade? Thanks for your advice. Pibolar sorry to crowd your post.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Get a quote from your Apple reseller on the SSD, that is if they are prepared to do it. You will be looking at the cost of the SSD from the reseller and about 1 hour labour at around $110 per hour.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Depending on the size - capacity of the SSD, you're likely looking at spending around $500 including the labor to have an Apple tech install it. Maybe more if you're not in the States.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 35mm scanner | My goal: stream Internet from G5 to TV, but having trouble »