New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Audio stuttering from Imac to HDTV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cemser

cemser is on a distinguished road

Hey.

Got a new smart HDTV, and turns out the good old setup with Minidisplay to HDMI adapter, and a HDMI cable plugged in the TV, does not work properly. Audio stuttering every 5-10 sec. Sees like the picture isnīt perfect either...

NB! If i plug the hdmi into a reciever and then plug this into TV, the sound is good... But I wanna plug it directly into the tv.

I have an Imac mid 2010 (snow leopard) and a Philips Smart TV .

Anyone solutions to this? Seems like itīs compability problems with Imac and new HDTVs?

Thanks. Chris.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Actually you likely are better off connecting through the receiver. If I'm not mistaken, the problem is that you are making the iMac do all of the video and audio processing. If you connect it to the receiver, then the iMac simply passes the tracks through and the receiver is handling the media decoding, like AC3 and DTS. An AVR is dedicated to and optimized for this. A computer is not.

You would think the iMac can handle this on its own, but that may be dependent on how your media is encoded and even if you have other issues with your system like heavy fragmentation or low drive space. The problem may even be the cable you are using, though I'm skeptical on this since it works with the receiver. Basically, we'd need to know a lot more details on these items to be more certain.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac ŧ Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Samsung follows Apple's lead, announces new gold edition of Galaxy S4 . . . | Macintosh Classic Error Message »