Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    i Mac OS X EL Capitan
    Dell HD with iMac?
    I have a Dell HD s2409W 24 inch monitor that I want to use with my iMac. What kind of adapter will I need to hook it up to the iMac?
    Thanks

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    No way to know unless you provide us with which iMac you have since the iMac has been manufactured since 1998 with anything from no video out through 5 different types of video out ports over the years.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    That particular Dell monitor has an HDMI input, however, as already mentioned we need to know which iMac you have.

Specs:
    i Mac OS X EL Capitan
    I went to the Apple Store. They sold me a Mini DisplayPort To VGA Adapter. it worked.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I wonder why they didn't recommend and sell you a Mini Display Port Adapter to HDMI? The adapter you bought is analog only whereas the HDMI one is digital which would give you better clarity. Did you tell them your Dell had an HDMI input?

Specs:
    i Mac OS X EL Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I wonder why they didn't recommend and sell you a Mini Display Port Adapter to HDMI? The adapter you bought is analog only whereas the HDMI one is digital which would give you better clarity. Did you tell them your Dell had an HDMI input?
    My Dell is HD. He said something about HDMI. Now I am confused. LOL Perhaps I should go back and look into this. I think he said my Dell is HD not HDMI. What is the difference between the two?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLover2011 View Post
    My Dell is HD. He said something about HDMI. Now I am confused. LOL Perhaps I should go back and look into this. I think he said my Dell is HD not HDMI. What is the difference between the two?
    I believe that you're getting confused. The "HD" in the model name of the monitor refers to the fact that it can display a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

This "HD" terminology does not really have anything to do with the video ports on the monitor. "Dell HD" and "HDMI" are not comparable terms:

- "Dell HD" relates to the display resolution of the monitor
    - "HDMI" has to do with the type of video ports on the monitor

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    i Mac OS X EL Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I believe that you're getting confused. The "HD" in the model name of the monitor refers to the fact that it can display a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

This "HD" terminology does not really have anything to do with the video ports on the monitor. "Dell HD" and "HDMI" are not comparable terms:

- "Dell HD" relates to the display resolution of the monitor
    - "HDMI" has to do with the type of video ports on the monitor

HTH,

- Nick
    Thanks. I'll read that again to I can remember. My iMac is about 2.5 almost 3 years old. Does it have HDMI? I will go back to the Apple Store tomorrow and ask for HDMI.

Specs:
    Thanks. I'll read that again to I can remember. My iMac is about 2.5 almost 3 years old. Does it have HDMI? I will go back to the Apple Store tomorrow and ask for HDMI.
    If memory serves me correctly...only newer Mac-Mini's and retina MacBook Pro's have HDMI ports. I do not believe any iMac models have been released yet with an HDMI port.

Your iMac has a "mini-display" port as it's video out port...and I believe that your Dell monitor has three different video-in ports...VGA, DVI, and HDMI.

This is why Apple sold you a mini-display port to DVI adapter. Which will work...but as chscag mentioned earlier...a mini-display port to HDMI adapter may be even better.

- Nick

p.s. I believe that the mini-display port to HDMI adapter is about $5.00 more than the mini-display port to DVI adapter (the one you got). $29.00 vs. $34.95.
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Video ports that can be found on computers, monitors or TVs that are still being used by customers walking in off the street:

composite
    S-Video
    VGA
    mini-VGA
    component
    DVI - this one could be an analog only, digital only or combo analog and digital port
    mini DVI
    Displayport
    mini displayport
    HDMI
    Thunderbolt

And then there are the mobile devices where you can add in a few more ports to the mix:

30 pin connector
    lightning
    mini HDMI

Most of which (the customer), has no clue what port(s) they have on either device when they go looking for a cable.

The simple fact is, most of the techs in the store just are not up to speed with all those variants of video connections. Advising someone in the store that doesn't know what video ports are on their computer "and" TV/monitor makes it nigh on impossible for them to get the "best" connection into the customers hand. I would guess they're being trained in the situation where the customer doesn't know what they have, the "safest" suggestion is VGA as it is the most common port found on TVs and monitors.

Plus the fact that Apple has an "Apple branded" mdp to VGA adapter,
    While they do not have an Apple branded mdp to HDMI adapter.
    Selling mdp to HDMI adapters/cables at rip off prices from Belkin and Griffin at $35-$40 and cables at $45-$60.

So, don't go back to the Apple store to get something else.

If the VGA adapter is working fine for you and provides you with native resolution on your Dell monitor and you have no intention of connecting it to a modern TV, wouldn't waste the time exchanging it and probably spending more money than you already have and definitely more than you need to.

If you may have the need of connecting it to practically any TV manufactured since '08 (and will work on your current Dell monitor), then would suggest you head to Amazon or monoprice.com and purchase a mini displayport to HDMI cable. You should be able to find one in a length you need from 3' to 15' for about $12-$15 or less. When looking at Amazon, add together the 4 & 5 star votes and pick one that has close to or better than a 9-1 ratio vs 1 star votes.

Then perhaps try returning the one you bought from Apple - if the packaging is in good shape so they can resell it.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    i Mac OS X EL Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Video ports that can be found on computers, monitors or TVs that are still being used by customers walking in off the street:

composite
    S-Video
    VGA
    mini-VGA
    component
    DVI - this one could be an analog only, digital only or combo analog and digital port
    mini DVI
    Displayport
    mini displayport
    HDMI
    Thunderbolt

And then there are the mobile devices where you can add in a few more ports to the mix:

30 pin connector
    lightning
    mini HDMI

Most of which (the customer), has no clue what port(s) they have on either device when they go looking for a cable.

The simple fact is, most of the techs in the store just are not up to speed with all those variants of video connections. Advising someone in the store that doesn't know what video ports are on their computer "and" TV/monitor makes it nigh on impossible for them to get the "best" connection into the customers hand. I would guess they're being trained in the situation where the customer doesn't know what they have, the "safest" suggestion is VGA as it is the most common port found on TVs and monitors.

Plus the fact that Apple has an "Apple branded" mdp to VGA adapter,
    While they do not have an Apple branded mdp to HDMI adapter.
    Selling mdp to HDMI adapters/cables at rip off prices from Belkin and Griffin at $35-$40 and cables at $45-$60.

So, don't go back to the Apple store to get something else.

If the VGA adapter is working fine for you and provides you with native resolution on your Dell monitor and you have no intention of connecting it to a modern TV, wouldn't waste the time exchanging it and probably spending more money than you already have and definitely more than you need to.

If you may have the need of connecting it to practically any TV manufactured since '08 (and will work on your current Dell monitor), then would suggest you head to Amazon or monoprice.com and purchase a mini displayport to HDMI cable. You should be able to find one in a length you need from 3' to 15' for about $12-$15 or less. When looking at Amazon, add together the 4 & 5 star votes and pick one that has close to or better than a 9-1 ratio vs 1 star votes.

Then perhaps try returning the one you bought from Apple - if the packaging is in good shape so they can resell it.
    But I would want the best clarity I can get.

Specs:
    i Mac OS X EL Capitan
    I just found and HDMI port on it. I will exchange it.

Specs:
    I just found and HDMI port on it. I will exchange it.
    By "it"...I'm assuming you mean the monitor...not the iMac.

- Nick

Specs:
    i Mac OS X EL Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    By "it"...I'm assuming you mean the monitor...not the iMac.

- Nick
    Yes. The Dell monitor had a HDMI port on it according to the preferences.

Specs:
    Yes. The Dell monitor had a HDMI port on it according to the preferences.
    I'm not sure what set of "preferences" you are referencing. But hopefully you verified that the monitor has an HDMI port by actually visually seeing it.

- Nick

Thread Information