New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Best batteries for the Magic Mouse?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dotdotdot

dotdotdot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.9.2 (12C60)

They eat batteries like crazy, about a set every 3 weeks or so, but this is with cheap store brand alkalines. It is what it is, not ranting here, but what brands last the longest? What about rechargeables, how long do they last between charges?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What kind of Alkaline batteries have you been buying, or maybe I should ask - what are you doing with your Magic Mouse that causes the batteries to wear out so quickly?

My batteries last for several months at least and they're store purchased cheap Alkaline batteries. I guess you can try re-chargeable batteries to see if they're more cost effective.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
...but this is with cheap store brand alkalines.
Stop using cheap "dollar store" batteries. Use good name brand batteries...and you will get longer battery life. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

As far as what brands...almost anything will be better than cheap "no-name" batteries purchased at dollar stores, flea markets, etc.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

Months? Now that is unfathomable that they could last that long! By the way, the original batteries which came with the mouse when new lasted about a month, or maybe a bit more, as I recall. Oh well, I will try 'real' batteries once I burn through my supply. Also, turning the mouse switch to "off" does not make an appreciable difference in battery life.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

I get many months of use on my Magic Mouse, Magic TrackPad, and keyboard. 3 weeks use is just silliness and it has to be the quality of the batteries.

The trackpad and the keyboard never get turned off, but I do switch off the mouse when it goes into my bag after a day of work.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

Yeah, keyboard lasts months, even with the cheapies, so far at least (I've only changed them once a couple of months ago and they still show 100%).
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
Months? Now that is unfathomable that they could last that long!
Try some "better" batteries as an experiment (Duracell or Eveready). Then you can make some comparisons between the "life" of cheaper batteries & "better" name brand batteries.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Energizer Ultimate Lithiums last three months on a mouse / trackpad and about six on the keyboard. Don't bother with el cheeps nor rechargables.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Going on 6 or 7 months with mine. Always turn the mouse off when I'm not using it and it doesn't get more than a few hrs usage on a daily basis. Sometimes more, but not that often.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Going on 6 or 7 months with mine. Always turn the mouse off when I'm not using it and it doesn't get more than a few hrs usage on a daily basis. Sometimes more, but not that often.
Just want to join this thread - bought the iMac for my wife in May, used the original batteries for the Magic Mouse, and then replaced them - now @ 30% so will need replacement soon, so I'm figuring about a 3 month life (and these are brand names) - spouse uses her computer daily (can't give the time & activity) and I don't 'turn off' the mouse (not sure 'how important' that would even be if one is not actively using the device - any comments?).

NOW, I think that the future of some of these battery issues relates to charging w/o wires - kind of like an electric toothbrush, i.e. why not place the mouse in a carriage that will charge in-built batteries - think of the possibilities? Will a carriage even be needed, i.e. automatic charging of these devices w/i a limited range? Who knows? Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I use Lenmar R2G rechargeable batteries in my Magic Trackpad. I usually get 2-3 months out of them. I believe they are equivalent to the Apple branded rechargeable batteries.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Energizer Ultimate Lithiums last three months on a mouse / trackpad and about six on the keyboard. Don't bother with el cheeps nor rechargables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I use Lenmar R2G rechargeable batteries in my Magic Trackpad. I usually get 2-3 months out of them. I believe they are equivalent to the Apple branded rechargeable batteries.
I would of said rechargeable batteries as well. Again, dont buy a non branded or cheap brand, you need to get the good rechargeable batteries. Yes the outlay is is quite a bit, but over time, (a year) you would of made your $ back.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
I don't 'turn off' the mouse (not sure 'how important' that would even be if one is not actively using the device - any comments?).
As far as saving the batteries, I've found it makes no difference in their longevity.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I get 2-3 months out of a set of Normal EverReady Energizers and I use the mouse very hard. What Harry suggested (Energizer Ultimate Lithium) should last even longer. My Apple keyboard using it heavy daily gets maybe 5 or more out of the same Energizers.

I get way less life with the MM and cheaper Alakines like Ray O Vac and other brands. I can notice the difference.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And no need to turn the mouse/keyboard off. They will close down automatically. That 3/6 months was using the computer 5 hours a day.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adapter/Cables for connecting Mac to TV via HDMI | mac Time Capsule (usb connect, skip wifi connect?) »