New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Connecting 2 external monitors to macbook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeg679

joeg679 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 6-2011, iPad 1, 2&3, iPhone 4s, ATV2

I currently have an external monitor running off my 2011 macbook pro 2.7 GHz i7, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3. I would like to add a 2nd and was wondering if it was possible and what adapter I should get, if so. Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think that is going to be possible. One monitor could connect to the Thunderbolt port using an adapter which matches any of the video standards listed here.

I am not sure that port supports two external monitors simultaneously but if it does not you could use something like one of these for the second external and it should work. There are other manufacturers with similar devices if you go this route. Make sure it works with the current OS. Software which relies on OPenGL may not work on monitors connected to one of these devices.

If your needs for the second external monitor are limited ScreenRecycler might be sufficient for the second external.

Here's a review I did of one of those monitor devices. It's a few years old but should give you an idea of the issues I mentioned.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

Thanks. Wow, that adapter is pretty expensive at around $140 bucks. I currently connect using the thunderbolt plug, so I guess I would need something like what you are saying. Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You're welcome. There are others out there and some are cheaper. At one time I saw the one I reviewed for about $75.00 but that might have been a special deal.

I assume the first external would be used as the main screen. What would the second external be used for? That's not a criticism I actually like running two externals if you have the desk space. What you will use the second external screen for will affect whether cheaper options such as ScreenRecycler are viable.

QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

I have a program that wirelessly links my ipad to mac, but there is lag time. I opted to use my laptop at work so I can take work home and finish here sometimes, so I have the laptop screen with email, skype and a browser open. The 2nd screen is used for another browser and sites that my company is working on (I'm in digital marketing) and the third would be for a word document, pdf, etc so I can copy/paste into the site. I won't use the 3rd monitor all the time, but there have been some times that it would've come in handy.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

If you have another computer around ScreenRecycler might do the job. Whether there is more or less lag than what you were doing with the iPad is hard to say without testing it. I used an earlier version of the program fro a bit several years ago. I stopped using it because of the lag but in fairness to the developer most of my lag could be explained by the following:

1. I was using a G3 iBook (300 MHZ) as the basis for the extra screen.
2. I had to rely on a wireless connection at slower speeds due to some hardware issues

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
I currently have an external monitor running off my 2011 macbook pro 2.7 GHz i7, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3. I would like to add a 2nd and was wondering if it was possible and what adapter I should get, if so. Thank you
Here you go..."30+ Apps for Your Muilti Monitor Setup":

30+ Apps for Your Multiple Monitor Setup | Mac.AppStorm

I'm not saying all of them will do what you want to do. But comb thru them...and maybe a couple will be of interest/use.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wintec FileMate | Help Airport Extreme Block my own website ! :( »