New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Time Capsule backup speed over WiFi

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaputt

kaputt is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a Time Capsule (4th Gen), and I would use it to backup files over the wireless network. So I wanna know how fast it is to backup stuff wirelessly? Is it much slower than USB 2.0?

I also want to know if it is possibile to backup for the first time using the USB port. I have a Macbook Pro Retina 2012, it doesn't have ethernet, just thunderbolt, and I don't want to spend 50 bucks on an adapter that I'll probably never use again.

If it is impossible to backup through USB, how much is it probably going to take to backup 200 GB over wifi, for example?

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

If possible, backup using USB as that will be faster than doing it wireless. The Retina model MacBook Pro has USB 3.0 not 2.0. If you purchase an external drive equipped with USB 3.0, backups will be very fast. (USB 3.0 is many times faster than USB 2.0)
QUOTE Thanks
kaputt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If possible, backup using USB as that will be faster than doing it wireless. The Retina model MacBook Pro has USB 3.0 not 2.0. If you purchase an external drive equipped with USB 3.0, backups will be very fast. (USB 3.0 is many times faster than USB 2.0)
But I want to have the funcionality of the wireless backups. I just don't want to do the first Time Machine's backup wirelessly, but I don't mind the other backups, as it seems to cover only the changes on your folders and documents.

Or are you telling me it is possible to do the first backup of Time Machine through an usb external hard drive, then plug it into the Time Capsule and then transfer the data to it. Is that it? It would be nice, since I have some usb 3.0 external drives here to do the trick.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

No, transferring to the TC from another external drive is not going to work. I was just pointing out that your Retina machine employs USB 3.0 and connected to a USB 3.0 device would be fastest. If you have already purchased a new TC then your choices are either via wireless, USB 2.0, or ethernet with an adapter. (adapter is expensive)

Of the three choices, USB 2.0 is going to be faster than wireless even with the new TC.
QUOTE Thanks
kaputt

Quote:
No, transferring to the TC from another external drive is not going to work. I was just pointing out that your Retina machine employs USB 3.0 and connected to a USB 3.0 device would be fastest. If you have already purchased a new TC then your choices are either via wireless, USB 2.0, or ethernet with an adapter. (adapter is expensive)

Of the three choices, USB 2.0 is going to be faster than wireless even with the new TC.
So is it possible to transfer data through the USB 2.0 on the time capsule? Is it possible to backup through it?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
So is it possible to transfer data through the USB 2.0 on the time capsule? Is it possible to backup through it?
The short answer is no. But read through this following thread in the Mac Rumors forum: LINK

I think the confusion arises is because the TC has a USB 2.0 port which can be used to attach an external hard drive. But Time Machine is not going to be able to backup through it.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:

I think I have seen a way to do this but it would be time consuming and a pain in the rear IMHO. I think it involved the following process.

1. Create initial Time Machine backup with an external hard drive -copy occurs at the fastest USB speed the drive supports.
2. Create sparsebundle file on the Time Capsule making sure it is expandable.
3. Copy entire folder from the backup created ins step one to the sparse bundle.

In the OPs case this is probably more time consuming than letting the initial process occur wirelessly. Only time I have read of this being used is when someone was moving an existing Time Machine backup to a Time Capsule or other network drove.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I'm rather disappointed in the new Apple TC. Why they didn't supply a USB 3.0 port on the new model is beyond me. Also, why not provide a USB input in addition to the wireless ability?
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Quote:
I'm rather disappointed in the new Apple TC. Why they didn't supply a USB 3.0 port on the new model is beyond me. Also, why not provide a USB input in addition to the wireless ability?
I have recently read some threads on the USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 on the new TC.
If I am understanding it properly a USB 3.0 port would not get you USB 3.0 speeds. Apparently the limitation is internally on the TC more specifically the Bus speed.

Does that make sense?

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Does that make sense?
I suppose it makes sense from Apple's point of view, but why then didn't they re-design the new TC internally to make use of faster bus speeds? If they could do it with the newer MacBook Pros, Air, and iMac, why not the TC?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do I Need To Repair My External? | Mac Mini, AV Receiver, Apple TV »