New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Serial ATA vs Fusion Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shanez

Shanez is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

Could anyone tell me how much better the Fusion Harddrives are in comparison to the Serial ATA as i am buying an iMac soon and i need to know is it really worth the extra cash?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Physically, a Fusion drive is 2 drives: an SSD and an HDD. OS X treats them as one drive but puts all your most frequently-accessed files on the SSD. SSDs are MUCH faster than HDDs, so for the most part, you will see much less lag related to accessing files, booting up, etc. I have a 2010 iMac that I added an SSD to in place of the DVD drive and still have a larger HDD in place. I can tell you I'll never go back to an HDD-only setup. It is just sick how much faster apps seem to pop now. Anything CPU-intensive will not be faster, but any lags you may experience from data being written to a drive and read from the drive will be dramatically reduced.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanez View Post
Hi guys,

Could anyone tell me how much better the Fusion Harddrives are in comparison to the Serial ATA as i am buying an iMac soon and i need to know is it really worth the extra cash?

Thanks
I have a 2013 iMac with a 1 TB Fusion Drive and I luv it.

I have not conducted "timed tests" but is clearly much faster than my previous Serial ATA.
The drive is really quiet (less mechancal accessing), my computer is running cooler, and the "file management" intelligence implentended on the Fusion Drive is absolutely seamless.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« compatible modems | Advice on external display... »