New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Best home (i.e. budget) color laser printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lrd

lrd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

I have an Epson Workforce 610 all-in-one that offers all the features I need except it constantly drops the wifi connection (always when the wife wants to print), the ink needs replacing constantly, and the print heads need frequent cleaning. All a great pain in the ^$$.

Looking for a more robust solution. Reviews are fine, but none address if they are Mac compatible (many aren't I'm learning).

So, I need color, wifi, reliable, budget (both up front and recurring ink). I'd like to look at laser printers as they should solve the clogged print head issue and they are a lot quieter.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Hi Ird - I went through the same process a few months ago after transitioning from PCs to Apple (new MBP & iMac) - now I've been using printers since 1980 (an Epson dot matrix on an Apple II+) - debated between a MF inkjet vs. MF color laser - for me, none of the many reviews seem to 'swing the scale' - even the cost of cartridges was confusing (decided that it was a wash) - SO, just went w/ another inkjet - purchased the Canon MX922 below from a local office chain (on sale for about $130) - have it attached to the iMac via USB, but w/ the built-in Wi-Fi AirPrint, I can print from my MBP in the den - can be setup as just a Wi-Fi printer or w/ an ethernet cable - still slow to startup printing & the cartridges are expensive - these companies seem to have us 'by the b**ls'. But, works for us - good luck and let us know you decision. Dave

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Unless you're prepared to spend $$$ on color laser consumables, I would pass on any color laser printer. We purchased a Dell color laser for our church and found out rather quickly what the cost of the replacement laser toner cartridges were. The Dell uses 4 toner cartridges at the cost of $90 each. And when you have a congregation that loves to print in color, we very quickly had to lock it up and make it available for staff only.

I have no idea what other color laser printers would run as far as consumables, but I suspect they'll be similar to the Dell.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Yes sadly...consumables for color laser printers still remain very expensive.

Heck...even to replace all the ink cartridges for an ink-jet printer isn't cheap. But color laser printer consumables are a WHOLE different "ballgame".

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

lrd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

Thanks. There used to be web pages that reported cost per page but I can't seem to find one of those anymore.

However, when you consider how many of my ink cartridges go dry through non-use, I'm thinking that dry toner cartridges may be a better deal...
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd View Post
Thanks. There used to be web pages that reported cost per page but I can't seem to find one of those anymore.

However, when you consider how many of my ink cartridges go dry through non-use, I'm thinking that dry toner cartridges may be a better deal...
Hi again Ird - there are still plenty of those cost comparisons available - just google 'costs of printing per page' - HERE'S ONE - considerable overlap as I found a few months ago looking for a printer.

I've not had a problem w/ inkjet cartridges 'drying out' but my wife uses ink so fast -

The only issue that I have had w/ those cartridges is buying 're-filled' ones - several clogged and I had to discard the entire batch - yes cheaper to start but 'more expensive' in the long run, I guess - good luck in your choice. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd View Post
If you don't print that often (cartridges drying up)...instead of investing in a printer...just go to a local Fed Ex store or other "Office Superstore" to do your printing.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Another important point - though color lasers produce excellent color business documents, one place they always fall short is in photo printing - and in particular, printing to photo paper. A good inkjet will always produce better photos than even the best color lasers, just by virtue of the technology that they use.

If you're mostly printing stuff to plain paper, then a laser will be a good, albeit expensive, solution. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The only issue that I have had w/ those cartridges is buying 're-filled' ones - several clogged and I had to discard the entire batch - yes cheaper to start but 'more expensive' in the long run, I guess - good luck in your choice. Dave
I went through a batch of on line suppliers before I found several who sold refilled cartridges that were of good quality. I use refilled cartridges in both my Epson and Canon color all in one printers and thus far have never had a problem with clogged jets or dried up ink.

The Epson printer will issue a warning when sensing a refilled cartridge and ask if you wish to use it; the Canon is a bit more fussy though. I buy refilled cartridges for the Canon that contain the Canon chip in order to use the Canon ink sensing and head cleaning utilities.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I went through a batch of on line suppliers before I found several who sold refilled cartridges that were of good quality. I use refilled cartridges in both my Epson and Canon color all in one printers and thus far have never had a problem with clogged jets or dried up ink.

The Epson printer will issue a warning when sensing a refilled cartridge and ask if you wish to use it; the Canon is a bit more fussy though. I buy refilled cartridges for the Canon that contain the Canon chip in order to use the Canon ink sensing and head cleaning utilities.
I just refill my own. The toner is MUCH cheaper. It is, however, somewhat of a pain (at least the first couple times).

We stopped using inkjets because they just dry up here in the desert. The color laser is great for general color printing, but for photos.. I actually send those out to pro labs, even though I do have a small dye sub.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
We stopped using inkjets because they just dry up here in the desert.
I can definitely see the low desert humidity accelerating this.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Yall know I have 4 color lasers ...all from thrift stores..one came off the curb. Thats the Samsung clp 300n. It works great and the toners are now getting cheap. If you can find the right drivers look for an older laser printer..over time the toner prices go down, If you do photos youll need a good ink jet or send them out to be done.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
Yall know I have 4 color lasers ...all from thrift stores..one came off the curb.
I should have known!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I have never had good luck with a color inkjet printer, regardless of the source for my cartridges. So, I have two solutions for my printing needs:

1) Monochrome Laser - easily the cheapest per page printing device
2) Online photo printing - I can print a lot of photos for the price of a printer. And, realistically, most photos only ever see electronic display

EDIT: FWIW we only use color lasers now at work and they perform very well, except not really photo quality. Have no idea on the cost of consumables

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
1) Monochrome Laser - easily the cheapest per page printing device
2) Online photo printing - I can print a lot of photos for the price of a printer. And, realistically, most photos only ever see electronic display
This is also what we do. I can buy refilled toner cartridges for my HP LaserJet at a 50% discount compared to what HP charges.

For photo printing, we use Walgreens on line. Maybe not a very elegant method but the results have always been satisfactory.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems getting lg external blu-ray/dvd writer BE14 to work on iMac | Macbook - How To Disable Overheat Shut Down »