New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

LaCie D2 USB 3.0 Thunderbolt HDD not turning on

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schwabby

schwabby is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (2.7 GHz i5, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, OS X 10.8.4)

I have one of these hard drives, and I love it to pieces, except after last night's power outage, it doesn't want to turn on (the power has since turned back on.) I plug it in to a surge protector strip, flip the power switch, and the blue light on the front blinks once, and that's it.

This is the drive in question: LaCie - LaCie d2 USB 3.0 Thunderbolt Series

(For the record, my 3TB Seagate hard drive turns on without a problem, so I'm hoping the power outage didn't damage one drive in particular.)

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The drive's power supply could have suffered damaged from the power outage and surge. I believe LaCie warrants their drives for 3 years, so it may be a good idea to contact them and perhaps get a RMA and a new drive. If there is critical data on the drive which you need to have, you may be able to remove it from the carrier and place it in a new carrier and get it working again. Of course that will void your LaCie warranty though.
QUOTE Thanks
schwabby

Thanks for the tips, chscag! I've got a support ticket open with LaCie, as well as a pending quote request from their data recovery services. (I would love to have the data recovered - everything I have on this drive is backed up elsewhere, save for a little work I did yesterday. Still, it'd be nice to have a functioning Thunderbolt drive to work directly off of; much faster than my machine's USB 2.0 ports.)
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I'll be interested to hear how you make out, I'd be surprised if the actual drive mech was damaged, it's more likely just the enclosure power supply, as chscag mentioned.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
schwabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I'll be interested to hear how you make out, I'd be surprised if the actual drive mech was damaged, it's more likely just the enclosure power supply, as chscag mentioned.
LaCie got back to me via a tech support ticket, but all they've done so far is ask me if my Mac is turned on, and what sort of connection I'm using (ie, Thunderbolt.)

After four LaCie drives ****ting the bed on me, and me explaining to LaCie in detail that the drive itself isn't spinning when switched on, they go ahead and ask me if my Mac is on.

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Lacie is one company I'd never recommend products from. Your story falls in line with everything else I've heard. I don't trust their customer service, and I sure don't trust their products.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
schwabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Lacie is one company I'd never recommend products from. Your story falls in line with everything else I've heard. I don't trust their customer service, and I sure don't trust their products.
This is painful to think, given that their product design is just so damn elegant. There's more to tech than looks, yes, but if only LaCie's seemed to align.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwabby View Post
This is painful to think, given that their product design is just so damn elegant. There's more to tech than looks, yes, but if only LaCie's seemed to align.
Yep, we do see a fair number of complaints about failed LaCie externals. It is unfortunate because their designs are very attractive. If you don't get anywhere with their support folks, I'd consider buying an external case and just transplant the drive mech over to it. Chances are, the drive itself is fine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Alas elegance does not equate with great performance and long life.

Suggest sticking with Western Digital products.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
schwabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Yep, we do see a fair number of complaints about failed LaCie externals. It is unfortunate because their designs are very attractive. If you don't get anywhere with their support folks, I'd consider buying an external case and just transplant the drive mech over to it. Chances are, the drive itself is fine.
Yeah, I know the drive itself is fine - I don't think there's any way for it not to be at this stage. I'm gonna see what that warranty can do for me, as I unfortunately can't afford to replace a drive at this time.
QUOTE Thanks
schwabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Alas elegance does not equate with great performance and long life.

Suggest sticking with Western Digital products.
Alas indeed, and shame. My Seagate drives have also always been fine. Comparable to WD, would you say?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Same manufacturer nowadays lol!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
schwabby

Okay, everyone who's replied - thank you all for your insight.

However, I just turned my troublesome drive on whilst having the Thunderbolt cable plugged into my girlfriend's MacBook, and lo and behold, it works.

Ergo vis-a-vis concordantly: the problem lies with my Mac and/or TB ports.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Same manufacturer nowadays lol!
Unless I missed some very big news, Western Digital and Seagate are still independent of one another. Though both have made very large acquisitions in recent years, which has consolidated the market down to these two as the last really big players.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwabby View Post
Okay, everyone who's replied - thank you all for your insight.

However, I just turned my troublesome drive on whilst having the Thunderbolt cable plugged into my girlfriend's MacBook, and lo and behold, it works.

Ergo vis-a-vis concordantly: the problem lies with my Mac and/or TB ports.
Ouch. Not good.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook - How To Disable Overheat Shut Down | Keeping MacBook Pro Cool »