New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Itunes to LG 840 g phone.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dotdotdot

dotdotdot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.9.2 (12C60)

How do I transfer what I have in iTunes to a phone? I'm looking for the "mass storage" icon or file (my connected phone). If I could only find that I'd be able to drag an album into it!
I don't know why such a simple act is, once again, so complicated on this iMac.

I looked in launch Pad, Finder, Google, the owner's manual...nothing. I'm ready to brick this computer.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Here's how I did it for my phone. Note... I currently have a dumb phone, a Samsung t259 supplied by T-Mobile.

I attached the phone to my iMac via USB and the memory card in the phone appears on my desktop just like a flash drive. I opened Finder and a second Finder window. Display the phone in one window and iTunes music or ringtones in the other. I then dragged and dropped music and ringtones to the proper places on the memory card. Ejected the phone and then went through its setup menu for music and ringtones. Everything works great. The phone's memory card is 1 GB.
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

That's just it, a simple procedure like you experienced, but nothing appears on my desktop with my phone connected via a proper USB data cable (NOT a charging cable). The phone end appears to be OK because it shows as being connected (mass storage device).

One year later with this Apple product and still nothing makes sense or is sinking in. (Sorry for that rant but I've been at this for about 3 hrs. now with no results and I'm getting old fast.)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Does your phone have a memory card slot? If I yank the memory card from my phone, the phone will mount on the desktop OK, but it will then appear locked. I can't copy anything to it. Most dumb phones are designed that way. It's not the fault of your iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

Yeah, it has a 2 g micro card installed.

Is there a My Computer equivalent in an iMac? My mass storage device would be located there...in a Windows machine.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Mount the phone and then open Disk Utility from Applications, Utilities. That might show the phone and the 2 GB micro card.

Not all phones will mount properly or even show the memory card. Some need software to do it. I have a Sony phone (older model) that will only mount in Windows when I load the software that came with it. It mounts on the iMac but does not show the Sony memory card. Same deal with some cameras.
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

I give up. I'm buying a cheap Windows laptop tomorrow to eliminate this on-going nonsense. It's one problem after another with this thing, never ending.
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

Well I figured it out, by some miracle. I set it up to do a file transfer via Bluetooth. At first it wouldn't recognize my device (phone) because the Bluetooth was switched to undiscoverable; you'd think that it would be discoverable by default. I can now also do pic transfers to the iMac. I guess I don't need the data cable, and, like the CD drive, it is considered obsolete by Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Take a look in the Finder side pane at the bottom under "Devices" - the card should be listed there if it was mounted properly. If you want it mounted on your Desktop, make sure "External disks" is checked under "Show these items on the desktop" in the preferences for Finder (General tab).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

I have those boxes checked off. In Finder, the Devices are listed as (my name)'s iMac and Macintosh HD.
No phone. Nothing relevant revealed in the drop-down menus.

As an experiment, I plugged in a USB memory stick and that's not showing anywhere either (Finder, Desktop).
QUOTE Thanks
mistertudball

mistertudball is on a distinguished road

If I could butt in here, I'm having the same problem with my LG 840G and new MacBook Pro. If I try to connect the phone to computer with the USB data cord and drag an audio file to what appears to be the device, the computer says I can't do that because the device or disk is locked. I tried to set up Bluetooth as dotdotdot has done, but although both devices seem to recognize each other, the phone says something like "connect headsets only" very briefly before I get a "could not connect" message. Any ideas on what else I can try?
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

I got that "connect headset only" meaningless mumbo jumbo too. Ignore it. Go to the Bluetooth squiggly icon on the upper right of the computer screen. Left click, go down to the LG 840 G, then arrow to "send file" and pick Music under Media then iTune song.
QUOTE Thanks
mistertudball

Thanks for the tip. I just tried that, and after selecting the music file to transfer, got the message that said "Failed to establish connection to device. Another application is transferring data with the device and it may not accept additional connections."

I have no idea what that means.
QUOTE Thanks
mistertudball

Wait a sec. I'm not sure what I just did but managed to transfer one song to the phone. Maybe I can do it again. 9.6 megs, is that about right for a 4 minute song? AAC file.
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

That sounds about right, yes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dell HD with iMac? | Reading other HD's »