New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

time machine / time capsule set up help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jif

jif is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP

Morning

My wife has bought me one of the new (2013) 2TB Airport Time Capsule and I'm struggling to set it up and after some help if you can spare me the time.

I'm in the UK, my ISP is BT and I've got BT infinity2 running through the home hub 4. I've got a 2010 I5 iMac. My home hub 4 is in a different room to my mac, however its actually only about 5 metres away through a wall.

I've connected the TC to the HH4 via ethernet, using airport utility it has set up a second wifi network as I couldn't work out how to extend the BT one (which would have been great to extend the 5GHz network to the back of my house)

however my issue is time machine... the point of getting this is to use it primarily as a time machine backup, so with the TC set up as an extension to my HH4 router, i set it away to update

in the last 2 hours it's updated 27MG out of 349GB and says its gonna take 341days to update

what am i doing wrong ?

many many thanks

27' iMac 2.8ghz intel quad core i5  white iPad2 32 gig wifi only  white iPhone5 16gig  black iPhone 4S  black iPod touch 8gig  80gig iPod classic  apple TV2  2TB crap dog slow time capsule 
QUOTE Thanks
jif

396 days now.......

wtf
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 12.01.42.png (21.4 KB, 21 views)

27' iMac 2.8ghz intel quad core i5  white iPad2 32 gig wifi only  white iPhone5 16gig  black iPhone 4S  black iPod touch 8gig  80gig iPod classic  apple TV2  2TB crap dog slow time capsule 
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You need to put the Time Capsule into Bridge Mode. You do this via Airport Utility as you have before.

This means it will just become a 'dumb' network hard disk attached to and managed by your Home Hub (the HH will run the wireless network and the DHCP server, issue IP addresses, manage traffic etc).

The alternative is to put the Home Hub 4 into modem-only mode (if it has a built-in fibre modem) and use the TC as the wireless router and let that do the donkey work.

Or if you have a separate Infinity modem. You can do away with HH and connect the modem direct to the Time Capsule.

The issue you have at the moment, I suspect, is one of having to fully functioning routers and completing wireless networks. The traffic from your Mac is making too many hops, getting interference etc etc.

To start with I'd recommend option 1. Connect the TC to the HH, put it in bridge mode, no wi-fi and use the HH to create the wireless network

For info: Airport Extremes, Airport Expresses and Time Capsules can only extend networks created by other Extremes, Expresses or TCs

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Also, many users find it helpful to do their initial backup via a wired connection to the network. After that the backup can proceed wirelessly in a short time since iy is only backing up files that have changed.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
jif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
You need to put the Time Capsule into Bridge Mode. You do this via Airport Utility as you have before.

This means it will just become a 'dumb' network hard disk attached to and managed by your Home Hub (the HH will run the wireless network and the DHCP server, issue IP addresses, manage traffic etc)
I'll be honest, I know nothing about networking.. I've looked at the network settings in airport utility and the router mode is in bridge mode ??

Quote:
The alternative is to put the Home Hub 4 into modem-only mode (if it has a built-in fibre modem) and use the TC as the wireless router and let that do the donkey work.
I'm totally lost now...

Quote:
Or if you have a separate Infinity modem. You can do away with HH and connect the modem direct to the Time Capsule.
I tried that, following a youtube guides. The video's I found all use a version of airport utility that is different to the version I have, I'm assuming its been updated. and they click manual setup to put the router into PPPoE mode (??) I can't find manual set up on the current version

Quote:
The issue you have at the moment, I suspect, is one of having to fully functioning routers and completing wireless networks. The traffic from your Mac is making too many hops, getting interference etc etc.

To start with I'd recommend option 1. Connect the TC to the HH, put it in bridge mode, no wi-fi and use the HH to create the wireless network
hmmm... that makes sense but it appears to be in bridge mode ?

Quote:
For info: Airport Extremes, Airport Expresses and Time Capsules can only extend networks created by other Extremes, Expresses or TCs
ah i see... thanks for your assistance

QUOTE Thanks
jif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Also, many users find it helpful to do their initial backup via a wired connection to the network. After that the backup can proceed wirelessly in a short time since iy is only backing up files that have changed.
hmmm there's an idea... I still need to sort the settings out to make future back ups quicker than snails pace

thanks

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Replacing the Home Hub with an Airport Extreme:
Open Airport Utility
1. Select Manual Setup - Internet
2. select "Connect using PPPoE" from the drop down menu
3. change username to bthomehub@btbroadband.com
4. type a single space as the password (the box can't be left empty
5. ensure connection is set to always On

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
jif

my version of airport utility is - 6.3.1

I cannot find an option for manual setup ?

QUOTE Thanks
jif

I've given up.... I found a thread on the apple support site and loads of people have had problem getting TC's to work properly with BT hubs

it's going back and I'll get a G-Tech 4TB external drive for the same price

pah !

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

For info: In 6.3.1 you just select the extreme in the airport utility window and click edit. That gives you full access to all the manual options.

Good luck with the external

QUOTE Thanks
jif

Thanks for your time Mr Plow

it's appreciated

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And for those looking for additional menus no longer available in the 6.x versions of Airport Utility or just prefer the older version...

Version 5.6 can be downloaded from here and is still working with 10.8.4.
It will live nicely alongside the 6.x version in your Utilities folder.

(You may need the 6.x version for the newer Apple Express, Extreme, and TC - don't know since mine is several years old.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Epson dx 4400 printer problem with Mac osx | Network radio tuner »