New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard Issues... please help o.0

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

khcrazy10

khcrazy10 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion

So I've been using my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard exclusively with my retina Macbook Pro for almost a year now. At first I noticed some random disconnecting if I moved the laptop around, which I now know is normal seeing as my Logitech mouse likes to do the same thing. However, a new development has occurred recently that has got me concerned.

About a month ago, the keyboard stopped reconnecting the mac automatically. I tried re-pairing it with my mac to no avail and actually ended up giving up for a while as I was busy, opting to use the built in keyboard on the system (in which I am actually typing right now). I did think it was odd that the keyboard would just up and quit on me, especially when I had a bluetooth mouse that was working just fine, altho a non apple product.

But yeah... Yesterday I reinstalled OS X on my laptop to start fresh, and to my surprise the mouse connected right away, while the keyboard took some additional setup. For the first time in what seems like AGES it actually worked. Unfortunately this was short lived as I shut down the notebook last night and turned it on this morning to find the apple keyboard did not automatically pair with mountain lion (the mouse did) and I am once again unable to get it set up and working.

Is there anything I can try to get it working? Yes I am sure it's not paired to any iOS devices or other macs. I haven't used it with anything else in a while and I checked all the devices in my house for pairing info back when I decided to use it exclusively with this mac. I can't seem to figure out what's wrong for the life of me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS. The error it's giving me when I try to set it up is "The pairing attempt was unsuccessful. Make sure your keyboard is in range of the computer, turned on and discoverable"
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

OK, maybe a silly question, but did you try changing the batteries?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
khcrazy10

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
OK, maybe a silly question, but did you try changing the batteries?
hahah... as a matter of fact I actually did think of that! I have the apple rechargables and I figured they might be dead, so I tried not only a recently charged set of NiMh batteries, but I also borrowed some of my dad's regular energizers to see if they worked. No luck tho
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcrazy10 View Post
hahah... as a matter of fact I actually did think of that! I have the apple rechargables and I figured they might be dead, so I tried not only a recently charged set of NiMh batteries, but I also borrowed some of my dad's regular energizers to see if they worked. No luck tho
I have one of the first generation Apple Aluminum wireless keyboards - and I know it had more than one firmware update that came out to try to correct for excessive battery consumption, amongst other odd issues. They came through the Software Update function. Have you run Software Update (Apple menu >> Software Update) with the keyboard paired to see if there were any applicable updates?

Additionally, Apple also has some BT functionality in the EFI firmware of the machine to ensure the keyboard can operate at low-level (before the OS loads). So, you may also want to try a PRAM reset. This is done by turning the machine off, turn it back on and press and hold Command + Option + P + R, immediately after it turns on. Continue holding until you hear the startup chime twice. Once that's done, go through the process of pairing once more.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
khcrazy10

I tried both those things and unfortunately I'm still having the same problem >.<

Edit: Also I'm wondering if this is maybe a trend in Apple Bluetooth products. I had a magic trackpad a while back that, much like the keyboard, seemed to die outta nowhere. I'm not as concerned about that since my mac has a built in trackpad and I shouldn't need more than a basic mouse to navigate my system anyway, but is it possibly the same cause?

ANOTHER EDIT: Ok Update! I fixed my problem. Most ridiculous thing ever actually. I went downstairs to grab something off the printer my dad's iMac is sharing, and I noticed a whole bunch of dots in the password field of the login window. So I logged into the computer and checked the bluetooth preferences (out of curiousity) and sure enough both the trackpad and keyboard were still in the settings from who knows how long ago o.0. I thought I checked but apparently I must have missed checking the iMac after the first pairing crisis where it synced with dad's iPad the first time I ever tired to pair the keyboard with this laptop.

Anyhow... crisis averted. I got it working =D (i'm gonna have to check the other macs in the house now just to be sure o.0)
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I have had the same issue for the third time now with my Apple BT keyboard and finally gave up. The first two times I took the batteries out with the intention of tossing the thing out after multiple pairing attempts. Then it would start working again. This time no go. Not too upset though since I have had it for a long time.

I'm not sure that the fact it started working again isn't just a coincidence. Unless the Macs are close enough together for the Bluetooth signals to be conflicting (30 - 40 feet I think) I don't think that is an issue.

If it is working again I'd hang on to it till it starts acting up again. Each time mine did hat it worked properly again for a long time afterward

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
khcrazy10

Well I deleted the keyboard from the bluetooth preferences since dad's got a wired keyboard. It puzzles me how directly under my laptop competes with approximately 10-15 meters below me on a diagonal o.0. You'd think the closer system would win *shrugs*. Heck, I have to walk halfway across my house to GET to that mac. I'm hoping I don't experience any more problems with it. If I do... I'll check all the macs in the house, then i'll be back XP
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

For what it is worth suggest ditching rechargeable batteries and use top quality Energizer Lithium. Usually get 12 months out of keyboard and six month from mouse/trackpad. For some reason rechargeables seem to develop a memory and never fully recharge after the first year or so.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Max per slot for ram | Transferring Data From HDD to iMac »