Durham, UK
    27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP
    time capsule help
    I've a 2010 intel iMac with a firewire external HDD connected. I need another external HDD and wonder if I could ask for your thoughts.

My mac only has one firewire port and don't want data transfer on a new HDD at USB 2.0 speeds, so I'm thinking about the new time machine....

Im in the UK with BT infinity2, using the new homehub 4. I get 70mb download, 20mb upload. What would my data speeds be in comparison to firewire/USB transfers ?

Clearly the TC is way more than an external drive, Its a wifi network... would this replace my home hub as my router, or plug into the router to compliment it.

My home hub is new and i'm happy with my wifi network, i only really need this as a NAS.

Thanks in advance
    27' iMac 2.8ghz intel quad core i5  white iPad2 32 gig wifi only  white iPhone5 16gig  black iPhone 4S  black iPod touch 8gig  80gig iPod classic  apple TV2  2TB crap dog slow time capsule 

27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    The Internet speed doesn't one into play here. It's the wireless speed. The Homehub 4 has N rated wifi at 5ghz so potentially that's up to 300mb/s. In real terms you'll never likely reach those speeds. But in any case USB 2 connected directly to your machine will likely be faster and more robust. They same would be true with a time capsule.

If you do want NAS functionality though you can either connected a USB disk to your Homehub or I'd suggest getting a dedicated NAS drive

Something else to consider is that FireWire devices can be daisy chained. Provided they have suitable connections on the enclosure.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Thread Information