New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Connecting an Android tablet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

peterbj7

peterbj7 is on a distinguished road

I'm using OSX 10.6 on a MBP. I want to able to use my Mac to update my Samsung Tab2 tablet. The Mac doesn't recognise the tablet. I'm told I need to install Samsung's KIES software on the Mac. I've done that, but when I try to use it it asks for "my user id and password". I have no idea what that means. Also, it seems to think the Tab2, a perfectly straightforward tablet, is a modem and it wants to set up an internet connection for it.

Does anyone have any idea what this is all about, and how to use KIES (or other software) just to allow my Mac to recognise the Tab2?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Does anyone have any idea what this is all about, and how to use KIES (or other software) just to allow my Mac to recognise the Tab2?
KIES ~ Tutorial straight from the site. It shows you how . . . .

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

I thought I'd looked at that, but I'll try it again. I'm puzzled why it should refer to the Tab2 as a "modem" and what "user id" and "password" it may be referring to - I just want to connect two bits of hardware together!

Incidentally, against strong advice from this site I fitted my MBP with a combo SSD/Dynamic hard drive, and performance is vastly better than it had ever been before. It's now a pleasure to use! My previous experiences had all been very negative.
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

I've just been to the tutorial videos and they don't help me at all. They all assume a link has already been established between the Mac and the Tab2, and then go on to show you how to perform certain tasks. I can't get that far - my problem is in establishing a link in the first place. I really need someone who's actually done it to tell me what they did.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Have you tried simply using the Android File Transfer app from Google?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

No, because I'd never heard of it. I asked Samsung how to connect and they didn't mention it!

That said, I've now downloaded and installed the Android File Transfer software onto my Mac, connected my Android device as per instructions, and it still isn't recognised. I've already tried rebooting the Tab2; next I'll try rebooting the Mac. A bit puzzling that for my Android version (4.1) my device is not listed, although others are.

OK, now I've rebooted everything. The Mac knows the Tab2 is there but it still won't connect to it. "Help" for the Android File Transfer software doesn't appear to help. I think I'll sleep on it.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
No, because I'd never heard of it. I asked Samsung how to connect and they didn't mention it!

That said, I've now downloaded and installed the Android File Transfer software onto my Mac, connected my Android device as per instructions, and it still isn't recognised. I've already tried rebooting the Tab2; next I'll try rebooting the Mac. A bit puzzling that for my Android version (4.1) my device is not listed, although others are.

OK, now I've rebooted everything. The Mac knows the Tab2 is there but it still won't connect to it. "Help" for the Android File Transfer software doesn't appear to help. I think I'll sleep on it.

Well is sounds like you have tried everything Mac wise to fix it, and it still not working, i would say its a Android OS problem. Why don't you do a Reinstall of the Andoid OS and see what goes. You might have a corrupt OS, corrupt files or anything corrupt of malicious on your phone

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual band modem/router Name and Passsord | Hard Drive question »