New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

speech recognition headsets

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I'm looking for a wired USB-based headset for voice recognition to match with Dragon Dictate. I live in the UK.

Quality is, within reason, more important than price.

Any product advice from experienced users?

As always, I am most grateful.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I have used a couple of different headsets with dictation programs. Just about any good headset works reasonably well. The company says that the quality of the mic affects recognition but the mics on their site are out of my budget.
They recommend "a Nuance-approved noise-canceling headset microphone for Mac (included in purchase)." I can't seem to find it one the support area at the moment but I thought they had a policy that required use of a certified mic if you were calling for support.

Here' their list of tested microphones. I've had good luck with the Logitech Clear Chat series of headsets.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Many, many thanks. To you and all who take the time to read and answer queries.

I'll check these out.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Let me know what you decide to get and how you like it. I am pretty fed up with what I have now (not very comfortable). I am looking at some of the Turtle Beache headsets since they would be good for other uses but it will be a while before I buy anything.

QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Sure; will do.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Hi Slydude

As promised, my feedback. Personal views only, not associated in any way with any product.

The headset which came with Dragon Dictate was okay for the job; but not very comfortable.

I have now purchased Plantronics Audio DSP 400 which is on the "certified list of approved headsets" by Dragon. Much more comfortable for my head anyway. Much nicer microphone boom and is foldable for portability with leather bag provided for same. (I don't require the portable facility myself).

So far, it is working well. Cost 30 including postage. As it's an American company, my guess would be that it is cheaper stateside.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Thanks for the update. I can agree with you about the comfort level of the original headset. If it is anything like the one I got (may go back to when the program was called iListen and produced by a different company) .

I can find those here for about $25 - $45 US depending upon the vendor. I'm going to hold off for a while and look a bit more. I am leading in the direction of a wireless option but haven't decided which one.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hand-Held scanners | Not able to see files on external »