New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

laCie d2 disk invisible with mountain lion OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shawuruo

shawuruo is on a distinguished road

My LaCie d2 and WD external hard drives are invisible since I upgraded to mountain lion OS. I tried to restore/ verify them in Disk Utilities; both apper in grey and error message 'disk not mounted' appear. Both connecetd to mac via USB. Any suggestions on how to rectify this?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Need some specs on your Mac, which one do you have - year and model? Also, how about other devices when plugged into the USB ports, are they working OK?
QUOTE Thanks
shawuruo

macbookpro 2009
other devices, in fact another lacie edicated as timemachine, connects via usb no prob
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell us how the LaCie and WD external drives are formatted? In other words, what file system format are they using and when you upgraded to ML, which version of OS X did you upgrade from?
QUOTE Thanks
shawuruo

Both were formatted on earlier OS on the same mac, i think it was Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Thanks for posting back. Both drives should appear if they're not damaged or defective in some way. You said they were used with your same Mac when it was running Leopard? How did you upgrade then from Leopard to Mountain Lion? You had to at least be running Snow Leopard 10.6.6 in order to upgrade to Mountain Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
LaCieTech

LaCieTech is on a distinguished road

I hate to over simplify, but it needs to be covered. Start here, then consider more complex steps.

Physical troubleshooting.

The symptoms indicate there is a problem with the drive, how it is connected, or with the computer used for troubleshooting. The next best step is to change physical variables, and find a simpler problem than a broken product.

~ Change the data cable (USB, FireWire, Ethernet, etc.) A failure in the cable can cause this issue.

~ Change the external power supply or cable. If a different LaCie product is available, borrow the power cabling from that unit to see if the problem is in that component. On drives that are powered via USB or Firewire, try using the included power sharing cable and connect it to a second port.

~ Change the computer you are using. Computer problems can manifest themselves in many ways. Even if the computer appears to be working properly, this is a worthwhile test.

If you have the same results on another computer with both drives I would have to assume both drives were connected to your computer during the upgrade and the upgrade corrupted the data. ~TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawuruo View Post
My LaCie d2 and WD external hard drives are invisible since I upgraded to mountain lion OS. I tried to restore/ verify them in Disk Utilities; both apper in grey and error message 'disk not mounted' appear. Both connecetd to mac via USB. Any suggestions on how to rectify this?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2006 Macbook printer recommendations? | Possible to turn old tower pc into external hard drive? »