Airport Express as a WAN
    Hello everyone,

I am currently using a cisco wireless router for my wireless network at home. I have set up my Airport Express to work as a range extender for the wireless signal from the cisco. I want to use the Express as a LAN port so i can plug in my xbox360(older model without wireless built in). The airport will allow the ethernet port function as a LAN port when setup as a WDS remote station. Unfortunately this only works when the network is running from an apple device(airport extreme or another express).

The best information I was able to find was here:
    How to Set Up an Airport Express to Provide a Wired Connection :

Can anyone help me figure out how to accomplish this without buying another apple wireless router?

Thanks in advance!

27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    You can use the express as a bridge to connect to any existing wireless network. So you can do that then connect your xbox to it. But, as you've noted, you can only 'extend' existing Apple networks.

If the bridge solution works for you, great. If not, consider a micro-router like this. It also wireless network extending, bridge mode, access point mode and more.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Thread Information