New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Vertical DVD drives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flopsy

flopsy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011/2012 27" iMacs, 2010/2012 Pro's, 2012/2013 Retina 15" MB Pro's

I've recently replaced some of my 2011 iMacs with 2012's - and I didn't really think about it at the time of order because they don't actually get used a lot, but I was standing in front of one yesterday with a DVD and going "uh... duh."

Problem circumvented obviously, but it occured to me I should go and buy some optical drives.

I know with experience from when I had the Air's that the Apple one is a) not actually as sleek as it appears and b) horribly unreliable. Whether it's changed or not since then is something I'm not sure of but I'm going to avoid it.

What I'd also like is something I can use vertically (and has enough weight so that I can push the disc in without struggling) - a bit like the PMD on the Sony Z-series notebook.

Sleek, fast, reliable, vertical mount option.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

A vertical drive will work OK, but the problem is trying to find one. Not sure if anyone still makes one. The Sony you referred to is no longer available.
QUOTE Thanks
flopsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
A vertical drive will work OK, but the problem is trying to find one. Not sure if anyone still makes one. The Sony you referred to is no longer available.
That won't work anyway - it was a Light Peak expansion unit for the Z* - it was just a style example.

(*Though it might be mildly interesting as a hacking project to see if a Light Peak to Thunderbolt bridge might get it to work...if I had that kind of time)
QUOTE Thanks
flopsy

Hmmm... I guess I'll have to do something with a regular ol' Samsung drive then,
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You could always purchase Apple's external superdrive:

Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Store (U.S.)

It's a bit thin to use vertically...but then that Sony product mentioned earlier in the thread is think as well.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
flopsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You could always purchase Apple's external superdrive:

Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Store (U.S.)

It's a bit thin to use vertically...but then that Sony product mentioned earlier in the thread is think as well.

HTH,

- Nick
See my first post. And my subsequent post re: the Sony.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsy View Post
See my first post. And my subsequent post re: the Sony.
Ok no problem...just trying to help.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
flopsy

Yeah - thanks. I didn't mean to be rude (though I always mean to be terse) but I wrote the post to exclude answers I anticipated.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsy View Post
Yeah - thanks. I didn't mean to be rude (though I always mean to be terse) but I wrote the post to exclude answers I anticipated.
The problem with being "potentially rude" or "terse all the time" is...it doesn't help when seeking help! Especially on an internet forum where the written word is all we have to go by.

Honestly...I didn't see in your initial post that you already explored the Apple external superdrive route...otherwise I never would have suggested it.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB super drive to G drive ???? | New Airport Extreme and Time Capsule »