New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Max per slot for ram

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DJDICEUSA

DJDICEUSA is on a distinguished road

Hello Trying to get a bit of help with my Mid 2010 MBP i7 Processor 2.66Mhz . Been diagnosing an issue where the top ram slot is getting dislodged randomly causing the unit to freeze and the memory card to be reseated. I want to upgrade a single ram slot to the full 8GB. Ive attached of the msg i get on start up. Please advse!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macError.JPG (477.7 KB, 24 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm not sure I understand your post? Are you saying the top memory slot is not holding the module correctly and it's becoming dislodged? If that's what you mean, I have to ask.... are you using the correct modules?

According to Mactracker your machine takes:

Maximum Memory 8.0 GB
Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

If the slot itself is defective that would mean a logic board change. As far as using one module of 8GB instead of two modules of 4GB, yes it's possible but more expensive and probably will slow down memory access.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If you have a problem with the ram in one slot coming loose. Is the ram damaged or is the slot damaged?

If the ram is damaged...I would replace the ram. If it's the slot that's damaged...I would try to use some sort of tape (to keep the ram from getting loose)...and see if that is a long term solution.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

What message, we cannot see the attachment

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
DJDICEUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I'm not sure I understand your post? Are you saying the top memory slot is not holding the module correctly and it's becoming dislodged? If that's what you mean, I have to ask.... are you using the correct modules?

According to Mactracker your machine takes:

Maximum Memory 8.0 GB
Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

If the slot itself is defective that would mean a logic board change. As far as using one module of 8GB instead of two modules of 4GB, yes it's possible but more expensive and probably will slow down memory access.

Your understanding. I want to eliminate the use of the top slot and just use 1 (8gb) stick in the unit. (ive also uploaded a pic of the error)

memory used 1 x CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model CMSX8GX3M1A1600C10
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDICEUSA View Post
(ive also uploaded a pic of the error)
That's a kernel panic...due to the ram issues.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
DJDICEUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
That's a kernel panic...due to the ram issues.

- Nick
but is the ram possibly bad or maybe incompatible? b/c ive reseated the ram.. tried the upper slot for the hell of it.. same issue
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
but is the ram possibly bad or maybe incompatible? b/c ive reseated the ram.. tried the upper slot for the hell of it.. same issue
Just so we are 100% clear...what are you currently doing when you get this message:

- What ram stick are you inserting?
- How many sticks of ram (1 or 2)?
- Which slot/slots (the good one or the bad one)?

* Nick

QUOTE Thanks
DJDICEUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Just so we are 100% clear...what are you currently doing when you get this message:

- What ram stick are you inserting?
- How many sticks of ram (1 or 2)?
- Which slot/slots (the good one or the bad one)?

* Nick
1 Stick currently due to a upper slot "hold" issue

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model CMSX8GX3M1A1600C10
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
1 Stick currently due to a upper slot "hold" issue
I was going to post this answer earlier...but I wanted to wait and see how things turned out.

Max. ram for your MacBook Pro is 8gig. This means a max. ram/ram slot of 4gig (4gig + 4gig = 8gig). If each ram slot could handle 8gig sticks of ram...then your MacBook Pro's max. ram would be 16 gig (which it isn't).

So my answer to your earlier "max ram/ram slot" question would be 4gig.

Thus...if you're having an issue with one of your ram slots...with only one good ram slot available...then max. ram for this computer (with 1 bad ram slot)...will be 4gig.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
imamacman

imamacman is on a distinguished road

I have to go with pigoo3 on that one. The most your machine will be able to handle is 4gb per slot.

It's also worth noting the the spec for your machine is DDR3 1066 (PC3-8500), you are using a 1600 module. In some machines you can get away with using the faster parts and in some machines it creates issues. I'd recommend going with the 1066 parts.
QUOTE Thanks
DJDICEUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imamacman View Post
I have to go with pigoo3 on that one. The most your machine will be able to handle is 4gb per slot.

It's also worth noting the the spec for your machine is DDR3 1066 (PC3-8500), you are using a 1600 module. In some machines you can get away with using the faster parts and in some machines it creates issues. I'd recommend going with the 1066 parts.
Thanks .. Ill be swapping out the stick immediately! any recommendations? mushkin, kingston, Corsair, or G Skill.?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

OK, now that I understand what's happening...... Nick is correct. You would only be able to use 4 GB not 8 GB. Also, take note of the type of memory I posted in my first reply to you. You're using incorrect memory which may be the reason for the KP. Buy your memory from either Crucial or OWC.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You're using incorrect memory which may be the reason for the KP.
I was thinking the same thing. Incorrect ram density & incorrect ram type.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
DJDICEUSA

Back again guys,
So ive been experiencing the 3 beep issues for over a year. but just recently upgraded to the Crucial 8Gb memory at the recommended type for my 2010 MBP. I originally just thought i had a bunch of bad MEM (orig memory & Kingston Hyper X <!~ outta spec memory) that was causing the issue. I can accept the memory issues from the Kingston but here is my question....but got the 3 beeps , but the computer restarted normally and i was able to use it.. (normally would have to reseat the mem sticks)

WHY AM I STILL GETTING THE RANDOM 3 BEEPS ... Looking for other possible causes to this. RAM - changed... HD - changed New OS - installed.

Im aware that this is a memory data integrity issue but can this be caused by software. I use the MBP to dj using serato & this issue is driving me nuts.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini Won't Recognize 2nd Monitor through Thunderbolt Port | Apple Bluetooth Keyboard Issues... please help o.0 »