New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

TARDIS Flash Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thepakmonster

thepakmonster is on a distinguished road

Hey this is my first post, so here is my question: is there a way to make a thumb drive so that when you save something to it it saves the file to a remote disc, so if i had a 2GB thumb drive and i plugged it into a computer at the library I could save a 10 GB file to it and the file would save to my disc at home, and I would also be able to then plug the same thumb drive into a different library computer and open this 10 GB file. The idea is it would function as a normal flash drive and you wouldn't have to istall a program onto each new computer you use the flash drive with. Does this kind of thing exist? Could it be made? How? What would it involve

(TARDIS because the drive would be bigger on the inside)

It wouldn't only be cool but it would be an amazing tool to have especially for graphic designing when you always have to back stuff up and it often too big for a thumb drive. Also you can't loose it because all the files are at home.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Uhh, use Dropbox or any of the various cloud storage derives as your remote disk and get the account that matches your need.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
thepakmonster

thepakmonster is on a distinguished road

I mean that I would own the drop box, no company storage facility, and that you wouldn't have to open a drop box application in the flash drive, files would simply be transferred to the disc at my house.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

No such thing exists..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Murasaki

Murasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.

Why not just go out and get an OWC Express Black Portable External Hard Drive Enclosure down load what you need at the library and be done with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advise on which router to buy | Problems backing up to Western Digital Mybooklive »