Retrieving data from broken external HDD
    Hi
    I recently dropped my external 3TB USB3 Seagate hard drive on the floor. Now when I plug it into my MacBook Pro it does not mount and I can't see it in Finder. The disk is formatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled. However, I can see the disk in Disk Utility.

Clicking 'Verify Disk' shows: Error: This disk needs to be repaired
    Clicking 'Repair Disk' shows: Error: Disk Utility canít repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

I can format the hard drive though, indicating to me that hard drive is still working, but something data for reading the disk is missing (although I'm not an expert).

Basically I was wondering if there is any way to get all the data off the hard drive so I could format it so it works properly again? I thought of using recovery programs but I don't think the files are actually deleted and also I would really like to keep the folder organisation and file names (which recovery programs do not).

Thanks in advance

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Try Data Rescue 3 from Prosoft. Here is a link to a trial version which will give you some ideas if you can access the information on the drive before you outlay the purchase price. But all of it ~ that is a big, big ask.

Data Recovery Software | Download Free Trial for Data Rescue 3 | Prosofteng
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Your only hope of extracting data from the drive is to use recovery software. Data Rescue 3 is one of the best and it does keep the folder and file structure if possible. It's $99 US but you can download a trial version to see how well it does on recovery.

Harry types faster than me!

I bought Data Rescue 3 and I recovered all my files, some without folder structure but at least I got them.

I still have a problem with the hard drive though because I tried formatting it using Disk Utility so it would actually mount by I get this message:
    Volume Erase failed with the error: File system formatter failed.

I didn't really know what this means so I tried partitioning the hard drive using the GUID partition but that didn't work either.

Do you know how I can format it again so it works or what the problem is? Are there any other formatting programs which I can use? Thanks

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Honestly, that drive is probably not worth fooling with anymore. It will only give you more trouble in the future. Dig up your receipt and contact Seagate. Ask for a RMA (Seagate warrants their drives for 3 years.). Seagate should then authorize a return on the drive and send you a replacement for free. I'm not sure about the postage and handling but I believe Seagate will pay one way. (back to them)

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    As chscag says toss it. You can bet your last dollar it will fail again and again.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thanks for the advice guys. I've sent it back to seagate to get a replacement as it does seem the easiest option.

Thread Information