New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Hard drive question! Macbook pro/mac pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EvanLopez

EvanLopez is on a distinguished road

Hello! I have currently a macbook pro early 2011 13 "
Love it for what I do. Music production as of recently I have been wanting to upgrade to a mac pro but am trying to be patient and wait for the alleged new mac pro coming soon!
I still have the stock HD Sata 320 G hard drive that comes with the computer. it has begun to fill up quickly I also have a 3 TB external hard drive. Basically my question is that I want to upgrade my hard drive to one of the best right now for my macbook pro that could also be transferred into my Mac pro slot once I upgrade. I am not the greatest technical person when it comes to computer hardware and that kind of technology and would love some feedback! Thank you in advance!

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I have not used them but there are a number of kits/devices out there to allow mounting smaller notebook drives into the standard 3.5" drive bay. The prices vary but some are not very expensive.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You can buy a 1 TB hard drive for your machine. WD and Hitachi both make the 1 TB drive of the correct dimensions (2.5" x 9.5 mm) for your machine. Both are 5400 RPM, however.

See the instructions to change out the hard drive in your machine at the ifixit web site. It's an easy DIY project.
QUOTE Thanks
EvanLopez

EvanLopez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You can buy a 1 TB hard drive for your machine. WD and Hitachi both make the 1 TB drive of the correct dimensions (2.5" x 9.5 mm) for your machine. Both are 5400 RPM, however.

See the instructions to change out the hard drive in your machine at the ifixit web site. It's an easy DIY project.
Thank you! what do you mean they are 5400 RPM? Is there a speed issue?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Yes. That refers to how fast the drives spin. Generally the lower the rpm value the slower the drive will be accepting data. It's taking to long to get where it needs to be.

This can be noticed mainly when opening and saving files but can affect any operation where the drive has to look for data. Many desktop drives these days are at least 7200 rpm.

Some people may not notice the speed difference between 5400 rpm and 720. In web surfing the difference will be seen mainly in launching the browser. For things like video capture the slower drives caused me all kinds of problems with audio - video sync.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanLopez View Post
Thank you! what do you mean they are 5400 RPM? Is there a speed issue?
No speed issue. Most folks nowadays want a 7200 RPM drive as a replacement because they're somewhat faster than the 5400 RPM models. However, I don't think there are any larger capacity 2.5" x 9.5 mm drives for notebooks that are 7200 RPM. OWC and Amazon both sell a 7200 RPM notebook drive of 750 GB if you're satisfied with that capacity instead of 1 TB.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How can i recover something from the trash on my external HD? | Time capsule empty - backups on desktop »