New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

HP 6500 officejet wireless

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CarolynR

CarolynR is on a distinguished road

I have a macbook air (lion) and a mac desktop (snow leopard), which both printed wirelessly from my HP officejet 6500 wireless. After about 6 months of wireless printing, I could no longer print wirelessly. I now have to connect printer to computers using usb. I have tried re-installing numerous times. HP even tried to fix the "problem" to no avail. I am wondering if upgrading to mountain lion would fix this issue. Has anyone heard of this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Upgrading your version of OS X to Mountain Lion is not likely going to solve the problem with your HP printer. If it was printing OK for 6 months and then after will no longer print wireless, what changed? Did you make any changes to your network, router, etc? Something had to cause it to stop printing wireless. My experience with wireless printers when they quit working wireless, has been that something has changed in the network. Of course if the printer is defective, that's another matter.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You need to assign a wireless printer a static IP address linked to the printers MAC address to make sure it doesn't fall off the network

Your router can do that

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I have a Canon wireless printer that routinely drops off the network and I have to reset it to get it back onto the network with a new IP address each time but I can always print to it from my iMac and my wife's Windows laptop.

Can you see the printer in Print & Scan in System Preferences and talk to it or does that time out?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
CarolynR

CarolynR is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recommend an Enclosure for SATA 3.5 | Wifi gone from Time Capsule. »