New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

time machine disk failed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chilts

Chilts is on a distinguished road

I have been using an Iomega !TB USB external hard drive as my time m/c disk. It has recently not worked, Finder no longer shows the drive, I added to a windows laptop and it can't see it either.

Disk Utility only seems to see my hard drive and another storage drive that is not the time m/c drive

When I try to 'enter timemachine' I see a message saying saying back up disk can't be found.

When I choose set up a disk I saw the symbol of the drive I was using with a subscript saying zero kb but wasn't able to choose it, only cancel or remove. So I chose to remove and now don't see it at all when repeating the earlier steps.

When I choose the option Other Time capsule and set up AirPort utility starts looking for devices on the internet.

Any suggestions?

rgds
Chilts
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If I remember correctly, as far as Disk Utility is concerned a Time Machine drive is just another hard drive. Once you went to Time Machine setup and chose the remove option it no longer sees the drive as a Time Machine drive.

Try the following and see if this helps. It should not mess things up more than they are at the moment.

1. Launch Disk Utility and select the problem drive.
2. Let Disk Utility verify the drive and repair any problems.
3. Assuming any errors are successfully repaired go back to Time Machine and tell it to use the drive again.

BTW Choosing "Other Time Capsule" is what is causing the network activity looking for other devices. It's not looking for another Time Machine backup it is looking for a Time Capsule (piece of network hardware).

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

In addition to the advice by member Slydude.... according to your post it appears the iOmega 1 TB drive may have failed. If it's not being picked up by the Finder and your Windows machine can't see it either, it is indicative of a problem drive.

Go ahead and use Disk Utility as you were advised and let us know the results. I believe iOmega warrants their drives for 3 years so if it has failed and is still under warranty, iOmega will issue a RMA.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

[QUOTE=chscag;1510517
.. according to your post it appears the iOmega 1 TB drive may have failed. If it's not being picked up by the Finder and your Windows machine can't see it either, it is indicative of a problem drive.
.[/QUOTE]

Why didn't I notice that. I knew I wasn't on my game today.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Chilts

Chilts is on a distinguished road

thanks for the replies.

I do think myself it's a disk issue.

Re Slydudes first post, disk utility couldn't see the disk even before I "removed" it in Time Machine.
As i mentioned my laptop doesn't read it nor does finder. I'll contact Iomega.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thunderbolt USB port fail | Connecting to Cinema Display »