New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Connect SCSI Xerox scanner to MacBook Air?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cpn chris

cpn chris is on a distinguished road

Hey all,
I know the first thing anyone will maybe want to say is get a new scanner. Not an option for this application. The scanner is a Xerox 620s, and I need the durability and accuracy of this thing (they sold for $17k when new.) So- anyone have experience with adapting an old SCSI scanner to USB? What cable is the best? A cable that adapts, or an adapter and a USB cable? I really don't know, but this project is super important for everyone, and it has to be ACCURATE. I am archiving print media for use in a genetically intelligent database, and there is little room for error. At all. And if anyone knows the best OCR software for this project, I am all ears- if need be I will build a windoze box for exclusive use of like TWAIN/PictBridge even though I hate to.
Thanks in advance,
~cc
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You may need to run that into an older machine with a PCI SCSI card installed

If you were doing pre-press stuff I would understand your attachment to that old scanner

But if your prime job is OCR then I really dont understand why you cannot use a modern scanner (and I have worked in print for 20 years, and know that even medium cost modern scanners are more than up for the task

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
cpn chris

Hey, thanks. It really has a lot to do with the weak link they all have, and that is the ADF. A commercial level Xerox can't be beat, and this thing has to be able to run for years and years. I do not want to have to babysit the thing, and as an ex- Xerox engineer, I know well who can handle originals the best, and I do not have time to hand feed all this data. So... what type of Mac would be the unit to use? An old G4? I really do not care what the unit is as long as it is a Mac. I do not wish to deal with a win box at all if I can avoid it, but I am absolutely cool with buying another older Mac. If this is the case, and I hope it is (!) then what box, and what older software makes the most sense?
QUOTE Thanks
cpn chris

Hey all,

I got some very reasonable advice from Louishen (thanks!!!) who says rather than try to adapt my I/O from a Xerox 620s (SCSI) to my Air, I should go retro on the machine end. (here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...-new-post.html) This makes a whole lot of sense in that I was already thinking about a dedicated OCR hardware solution for a database I am developing. I am told I need a PCT(?) SCSI equipped Mac. In light of this, anyone with any advice regarding what (desktop?) machine I should be looking at? Sometimes it seems the most elegant solution is the simplest. That scanner is 1998 vintage, BTW, and no- I am not interested in a newer scanner- I would not mind another Mac to do this with, but am unfamiliar with older hardware, and which software works the best. I am into OCR accuracy, and not efficiency at all.

Thanks in advance,
~cc
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I reuse a HD used for Time Machine? | HP Photosmart not working wireless »