New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Is the 768GB SSD price dropping any further?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GLXMAN

GLXMAN is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
Been saving for a new 27" iMac since my windose laptop was failing,
The laptop has now "gone to heaven, may have gone somewhere else the way it was behaving )
I'm now down to just the iPad until funds accumulate a little more

I have noticed that the price of the 768GB SSD has dropped a little, do you think it will go any further?

I now have a hat full of CF cards, all with raw files that have yet to be processed, the workload is mounting

Our financial year ends 30 June, was hoping to get a maxed out 27" under $4000?
What are my chances?

Regards,
Gary

Taught myself every thing I know and I still know nothing!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If you are talking about the one that Apple offers as an upgrade when you buy an iMac, then it likely won't see a price drop until the next time they update that line. And that may be a year away, perhaps less, for all we know. A Fusion Drive would be a much better value.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
If you are talking about the one that Apple offers as an upgrade when you buy an iMac, then it likely won't see a price drop until the next time they update that line. And that may be a year away, perhaps less, for all we know. A Fusion Drive would be a much better value.
Yes I am talking about the one offered with the upgrade,
My local store did mention the best time was to buy around the end of the financial year as they usually have discounts, may be just a local option I guess,
Fusion drive maybe a good option If I run short of dollars
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLXMAN View Post
I have noticed that the price of the 768GB SSD has dropped a little, do you think it will go any further?
Absolutely. The price of storage is ALWAYS dropping. How much do you think I paid for a 10 megabyte hard drive back in 1988 ($500 bucks).

The price of that 768SSD will be:

- less 6 months from now
- even less 12 months from now
- even less in 24 months from now.

As I said...the price of storage is always dropping. The problem is...we cannot always wait for the price of storage to get where we want it to be...when we need the computer.

If you need a computer now...then buy the computer now with the size SSD you can afford now. If you can wait...then wait.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Thankyou for the heads-up Nick,
I can most probably wait until the end of June so there is always hope
Your post is encouraging,
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thankyou for the heads-up Nick,
I can most probably wait until the end of June so there is always hope
Your post is encouraging,
Just remember...my answer was mostly from a "philosophical" point of view. In the computer industry since approx. 1980ish (when personal computers got much more mainstream):

- cpu's have always been getting faster
- storage is always been getting cheaper
- the price of ram is always getting cheaper

The problem is knowing when it will happen & how quickly. That 768gig SSD is currently a $900 upgrade on the top-end 27" iMac.

- In 6 months it may cost $800
- In 12 months is may cost $750
- in 24 months it may cost $3000...due to a fire, or a labor strike, or a shortage of a key component at the factory that makes the SSD's (it has happened before)
- In 30 months it may cost $400

So if you pay $900 for a 768gig SSD today...in 30 months time when the price could potentially be $400...how does that make you feel? This is the "nature of the beast"...the price of storage in computers is almost always dropping.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Absolutely. The price of storage is ALWAYS dropping. How much do you think I paid for a 10 megabyte hard drive back in 1988 ($500 bucks).
Sucker. I paid $400 for a 40 meg Hardcard (hard drive on an ISA board) a couple years later.

Quote:
The price of that 768SSD will be:

- less 6 months from now
- even less 12 months from now
- even less in 24 months from now.
But will Apple drop those prices in that period? AFAIK, they rarely adjust component prices until a refresh of the product line.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Sucker. I paid $400 for a 40 meg Hardcard (hard drive on an ISA board) a couple years later.
Yes...but 12 months after you paid $400 for that 40meg HD...I think I got a 120 meg for like $350! We could go on like this forever!

Quote:
But will Apple drop those prices in that period? AFAIK, they rarely adjust component prices until a refresh of the product line.
You're probably right! Apple is usually pretty slow to adjust their prices versus the open Market (ram, HD's, SSD's). And now that the newer iMac's are virtually non-user upgradeable (at least in terms of internal storage)...Apple has even less incentive to lower prices on SSD's...or at least quickly.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Can't even remember what I paid for storage back then.
I do remember my first x86 had a 80 MB drive. A friend that sold hard drives for a living went with me to the store. He told me I would "never" fill up a drive that size.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
He told me I would "never" fill up a drive that size.
I always LOVE these statements! But somehow...we or the computer industry always finds a way to fill them!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
I always LOVE these statements! But somehow...we or the computer industry always finds a way to fill them!

- Nick
It wasn't all that long ago we had a Sony Mavica (digital camera) that used 3 1/2 floppies as the internal storage media; we could get 60+ shots on a 720K disk.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
It wasn't all that long ago we had a Sony Mavica (digital camera) that used 3 1/2 floppies as the internal storage media; we could get 60+ shots on a 720K disk.
Yes I remember those! It always seemed very "efficient" to have a camera that used 3.5" floppies...AND have a computer with a 3.5" floppy drive. Then you could just eject & insert...no adapters or cables required!

Wow...60+ shots...that's really not all that bad. Could that camera take/read the HD 3.5" floppy's (the 1.44meg type)? That would have basically doubled the shots you could take.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Yes I remember those! It always seemed very "efficient" to have a camera that used 3.5" floppies...AND have a computer with a 3.5" floppy drive. Then you could just eject & insert...no adapters or cables required!

Wow...60+ shots...that's really not all that bad. Could that camera take/read the HD 3.5" floppy's (the 1.44meg type)? That would have basically doubled the shots you could take.

- Nick
Can't remember if it would handle the HD floppies. But, yes, beling able to directly download to a PC was a major plus.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Quote:
Just remember...my answer was mostly from a "philosophical" point of view. In the computer industry since approx. 1980ish (when personal computers got much more mainstream):

- cpu's have always been getting faster
- storage is always been getting cheaper
- the price of ram is always getting cheaper

The problem is knowing when it will happen & how quickly. That 768gig SSD is currently a $900 upgrade on the top-end 27" iMac.

- In 6 months it may cost $800
- In 12 months is may cost $750
- in 24 months it may cost $3000...due to a fire, or a labor strike, or a shortage of a key component at the factory that makes the SSD's (it has happened before)
- In 30 months it may cost $400

So if you pay $900 for a 768gig SSD today...in 30 months time when the price could potentially be $400...how does that make you feel? This is the "nature of the beast"...the price of storage in computers is almost always dropping.

- Nick
Hi Nick,
I guess the reason I asked as in my country, the 768 was around $1300 on the online store and is now showing $1080, thought there was a "trend" happening,
Come end of June, either way, I will go the 768 SSD
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Hi Nick,
I guess the reason I asked as in my country, the 768 was around $1300 on the online store and is now showing $1080, thought there was a "trend" happening,
Come end of June, either way, I will go the 768 SSD
Regards,
Gary
I see. The price decrease in storage devices is almost always downward...but this downward price trend may not always be as fast as we would like.

Usually the upper end (larger capacity) drives see the slowest price decrease trends...since they are more cutting edge. For example...128 or 256gig SSD's are getting fairly common...and so the prices for these are decreasing quickly.

512gig and 768gig SSD's are higher end units...with more demand...so the price remains higher. If there were 1 terabyte SSD's and larger...then the price of the 512's and 768 SSD's would probably decrease more quickly.

Good luck...hopefully the price of the 768gig SSD upgrade does drop again before you purchase your computer in June!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Seagate External Hard-drive no longer syncing with MacBook Pro | A plethora of chargers »