New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Calling all tech pros! Need some set-up advice/suggestions...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kylebrooklyn

kylebrooklyn is on a distinguished road

Figured this would be an amazing place to find some great answers to the conundrum in which I currently find myself:

Having some anxiety looking forward to something I've been patiently waiting on for about a year, ever since I had my apartment broken into and a brand-new MBPro stolen from it. At long last, I'm gearing up to return to whole+, and I'd love some advice from all y'all about how best to proceed.

The outline of equipment/plans:

iMac 27"
Airport Extreme
Macbook Air
2TB (expandable) Drobo 4-bay (hard-wired/non-wireless)
Samsung blu-ray stereo, Wifi/netflix-enabled, wireless rear speakers
Samsung 55" Wifi-enabled TV
AppleTV (optional at this point)

I want to have a set-up whereby I can have my Drobo - which is loaded solely with music - connected to the internet & shared amongst my iMac, my Mac Air, as well as my girlfriend's Macbook laptop... as well as incorporating iTunes Match to access Library out-of-home... Ideally I'd like to have my iTunes playing through my Samsung stereo in surround, when I choose...

Any advice on achieving these lofty ideas would be HUGELY appreciated. I can't say how excited I am to finally be looking forward to restoration
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Reconsider the Drobo. I've read that there are lots of issues with those when it comes to reliability. Synology's offerings would likely be a better choice.

As for the Samsung TV, I would reconsider that also. They pack their sets with "features", but picture quality is lacking. If you are considering an AppleTV, then I'm not sure what the point would be in getting a wi-fi enabled TV anyway. I'll point you to a site I like to reference when buying products:
Best LCD TVs - Top 6 LCD TV Reviews
Best Plasma TV | Top Picks and Reviews at ConsumerSearch

I'm also not sure about a Samsung stereo system either. You can probably do better, but it depends on what your budget is too. If you are getting (or considering) an AppleTV, then a Netflix-enabled stereo is pointless as a feature because it's on the ATV.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
kylebrooklyn

kylebrooklyn is on a distinguished road

Ha. Shoot. Thanks! However all of the things you warned against, I already have. So, I'm working with what's in place. Moved last June and kinda crunched to get that stuff... Wasn't in the financial position then that I'm in now. Oh well. Any tips for working what's here to achieve what I'm hoping?

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebrooklyn View Post
Ha. Shoot. Thanks! However all of the things you warned against, I already have. So, I'm working with what's in place. Moved last June and kinda crunched to get that stuff... Wasn't in the financial position then that I'm in now. Oh well. Any tips for working what's here to achieve what I'm hoping?
Well for starters, make sure you have a backup plan. Not just of the Drobo but your Macs also.

If you want to stream your music from iTunes to your sound system, then you will have to get an ATV. Alternatively, don't stream from iTunes and instead use alternative software that is supported with the software on your AV hardware (assuming your music is free of DRM). What exact model stereo/TV system do you have?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacHD icon not showing in Disk Util. | Nikon D5000 »