New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Time Capsule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Emorris69

Emorris69 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I have a Time Capsule set up at my TV running my backups and media network for a Raspberry Pi. The problem is that I cant connect the Time Capsule Directly to the internet because my router is actually located in my office next door. So I use the wifi from the router to access the web on my Macbook Pro but I would like to be able get the Time Capsule hooked up to the network so I can have it back up with out needing to stop what I am doing on the internet. I have read several different ideas and just need some advice. But there is no way to run a cable or use an inline power adapter or move the router or Time Capsule. So I need something a little out there to make this work. Also I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks
Emorris69
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Use airport utility to configure the TC.

Put it into Bridge Mode to have it join the existing wireless network. This effectively stops it being a router and turns it into a wireless hard disk

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Where that setting is located depends on which version of the Airport Utility you have.

The older version:
Select you TC in the left side bar - if you don't have a sidebar go down to the newer version.
Click on the Manual Setup button
Internet tab
set 'Connection Sharing' to 'Off (Bridge Mode)'
then go to the 'Airport' tab
'Wireless Mode' - whichever you want to do - Extend your existing wifi network from the router or Create a new network - up to you.

The newer version:
click on your TC icon - then on Edit
Go to the Router tab
The top line is 'Router Mode' - set this to 'Off: Bridge Mode'

After this (mine was set up on the older version) I think you head for the 'Internet' tab
go to the 'Wireless' tab
Network Mode - whichever you want to do - Extend your existing wifi network from the router or Create a new network - up to you.

Have mine set up to create a 2nd network in the house - although my router is at the opposite end of the house, not next door. The only advantage for me having it set up as a 2nd network is that I have one network as a combo 'g' and 'n' for any older 'g' only devices and one network setup as 'n' only so those older devices can't slow down my wifi speed.

After setting it to Bridge Mode, at some point it should ask about joining an existing network where you'll have to put in the password. Not sure on this exactly as I've run an ethernet cable through the attic across the house. If it doesn't you may need to hunt for where to join your existing network.

And all this costs you nothing.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Canon colour laser printer LBP7110CW | Lacie EXT HD spins but doesnt mount »