New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Intel versus AMD, interesting article...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VakeJ

VakeJ is on a distinguished road

Hello:

I hope this is the correct forum for this article. It's not Apple related, but thought it was quite interesting based on the move to dual core processors.

CNET compared the 5 AMD and 4 Intel dual core processors. I've seen similar articles and AMD usually outperforms Intel. I wasn't surprised that AMD came out on top, but I was surprised by the margin.

I'm a little curious why apple didn't team up with AMD. Could simply be that Intel is more widely used.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7...html?tag=prmo1
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by VakeJ
Hello:

I hope this is the correct forum for this article. It's not Apple related, but thought it was quite interesting based on the move to dual core processors.

CNET compared the 5 AMD and 4 Intel dual core processors. I've seen similar articles and AMD usually outperforms Intel. I wasn't surprised that AMD came out on top, but I was surprised by the margin.

I'm a little curious why apple didn't team up with AMD. Could simply be that Intel is more widely used.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7...html?tag=prmo1
From what I've read, it boils down to resources: AMD is a chipmaker; Intel makes chips, bridges, busses, graphics chips, etc. etc. etc. Intel brought the whole deal to the table; AMD would have only brought the chip. I don't know if that's completely correct but it sounds like a good enough reason to me!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It really should have gone in "Anything Goes," really. Maybe someone will move it.

There's also the performance-per-watt equation that Apple gave when it announced the decision. Both the chips in the C|Net article are fairly hot, energy-intensive chips. So is the G5. The Core Duo that Apple is using is much more efficient than the Pentium-D or any current AMD chip, and much faster than the G4 or AMD Turion (both single-core.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« start up from external disk? | Cleaning Mighty Mouse Scroll Ball »