New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Using an external hard drive to free up space on my mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jheft28

jheft28 is on a distinguished road

I'm down to about 500mb on the hard drive, so I decided to buy an external hard drive to free up some space on my Mac. My question is, what's that best way to go about doing this? I want to delete files that I don't use very often from my mac (e.g. my photos) and store them solely on the external hard drive. Would it be OK to use Time Machine to do this? Once I delete them from my mac, won't that sync up with my external hard drive? Let me know if this needs more clarification. Thanks for any help!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You didn't tell us which Mac you have? If it's a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the easier solution is to just replace the internal hard drive with a larger one. If you own an iMac, then replacing the hard drive is much more difficult.
QUOTE Thanks
jheft28

jheft28 is on a distinguished road

It's a MacBook Pro. If it's possible, I'd prefer just to do this on an external hard drive though... mainly since I already bought one.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Your best bet is to use a dedicated drive for time machine and another separate drive for any file archiving you may need to do

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« stuck battery lock | "Cheap" solution for extra USB ports on Macbook Pro Retina ??? »