New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Webcam needed for Mac Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mikethebook

Mikethebook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM

I have a Mac Mini (2009 2.3GHz) with Snow Leopard installed and need a reliable and inexpensive webcam for use with Skype. But so many don't seem compatible with Mac. Can anyone advise me of suitablel models for Mac and Skype use? I will likely want to use Ecamm recorder with Skype if that makes any difference.
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

bboggess has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Yosemite, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S

I use the Logitech Pro C910 with my Mini. Has been working fine for Skype, Facetime, and Evocam since installation. I do use it with Mountain Lion so I don't know about backwards compatibility with Snow Leopard. I also am unfamiliar with Ecamm. Check the Logitech line for current cameras.
Logitech - Webcams & HD Web Cameras

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I have the newer of the above, the C920 and have had no issues with anything I want to run on it.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Mikethebook

Thanks for the suggestions. They're not inexpensive webcams unfortunately. My budget is a liitle tighter.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

save a little longer. with electronics, you get what you pay for.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethebook View Post
I have a Mac Mini (2009 2.3GHz) with Snow Leopard installed and need a reliable and inexpensive webcam for use with Skype. But so many don't seem compatible with Mac.
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. They're not inexpensive webcams unfortunately. My budget is a liitle tighter.
Many times over the years...us Macintosh owners did not have as many choices/options as folks with Windows computers. One of those areas that still seems to exist...are webcams for Mac's. You're right...a lot of the webcams out there are not compatible with Mac's...and those that are, are generally more expensive...but they are usually also better quality (higher end models in a product line).

On the positive side...many Mac owners do not need webcams...since they are built into all currently selling Macintosh iMac's, MacBook Pro's, and Mac Book Air's. Yes...Mac-Mini and Mac Pro owners still need webcam's (if they want them).

I definitely agree with the other posters who recommend the Logitech C910 and C920. Got a 910 for a relative for Christmas...and it's a very good webcam...but does cost more than the average for webcams.

If you've got a more modest budget...you could try shopping on e-Bay...and see what you can find (new/used).

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mikethebook

Mm, these webcams are expensive. The only alternative would be to run Skype and a webcam on Windows through Bootcamp. That would open up a whole bunch of cheaper webcams for now.
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Yosemite, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S

I don't know where you happen to live but I was at a discount warehouse (BJ's) yesterday and they had the C910 in stock for $34.99. You may want to check alternatives. Keep in mind, these are quality webcams. The mic in it is pretty good in audio quality also. I have used cheap webcams on linux and windows, but basically you get what you pay for.

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
Mikethebook

Wow! Good deal. I live in the UK unfortunately and here they love to slap on import duty making it not such a good deal.
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

Bummer.... You might try ebay:

logitech c910 c910 webcam | eBay

There are C910s on there now.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mm, these webcams are expensive. The only alternative would be to run Skype and a webcam on Windows through Bootcamp. That would open up a whole bunch of cheaper webcams for now.
Remember...if you go this route...you're going to have to purchase a legal copy of Windows to do the install...then purchase the "inexpensive/cheaper" Windows compatible webcam.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Remember...if you go this route...you're going to have to purchase a legal copy of Windows to do the install...then purchase the "inexpensive/cheaper" Windows compatible webcam.

- Nick
Possibly making it cost more in the long run and especially in time, since you have to reboot each time you want to use the camera.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
Possibly making it cost more in the long run and especially in time, since you have to reboot each time you want to use the camera.
Exactly. A lot of work (and possibly cost) to facilitate the purchase of a low cost webcam. Unless someone needs Windows on their Mac for other tasks.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Which brings me back to what I said way up there. Save the money a little longer and get one known to work, even if it is a little more expensive.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« changing printer presets | printer drivers for Mountain Lion »