New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Adobe Flash Player install problem on many Macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TCondon

TCondon is on a distinguished road

I'm seeing a LOT of messages about the problems MANY of us are having trying to install Flash Player after the previous version locked up with no choice.

As many Mac-users, I am pretty fed up by all the circles I've been forced to run in an attempt to be able to see ANY video or film that requires this plug-in.

I have no idea what to do and am resisting paying Adobe (curse their black souls forever) for an issue THEY caused. Does ANYONE out there know the way out of this quicksand?
Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I removed your email address - we don't do personal service and you should refrain from making your email public (so as to prevent you from getting spammed).

What problems are you having specifically? Can you install it or does it not install at all? Have you tried a different browser?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TCondon

I don't have a different browser. As for personal service, what do you mean?
I thought I was voicing a need that many of us have and hoping to come up with some answer. The reason I left my email address is that I didn't know how to get to the answer(s) that may or may not come in. I didn't want to wait and watch.
Specifically, I was blocked yesterday from viewing any movie due to the plug-in being replaced by the new version. Adobe won't let me use the old version that works fine. That would be great except every time I go to install the upgraded version, it stalls right at 52% on the progress bar. I've seen many other emails saying that exact same thing, right down to the percentage of progress. I was hoping someone would come up with an answer for all of us suffering with this problem.
Thomas
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCondon View Post
I don't have a different browser. As for personal service, what do you mean?
As an online forum, discussions take place in the public - we don't engage in email conversations to solve problems. 'Tis the nature of forums.

Quote:
Specifically, I was blocked yesterday from viewing any movie due to the plug-in being replaced by the new version. Adobe won't let me use the old version that works fine.
You can use whichever version you like - nothing precludes you from downgrading. Use the uninstaller here and reinstall the older version if you'd prefer to have that.

Quote:
That would be great except every time I go to install the upgraded version, it stalls right at 52% on the progress bar. I've seen many other emails saying that exact same thing, right down to the percentage of progress. I was hoping someone would come up with an answer for all of us suffering with this problem.
Try uninstalling it using the uninstaller provided above and try again.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
The reason I left my email address is that I didn't know how to get to the answer(s) that may or may not come in. I didn't want to wait and watch.
"Wait and watch" is the way internet forums work. So you just have to check back with this thread from time to time.

The "personal service" part...means we don't "personally" e-mail folks with answers. Answers are posted in threads on the forum...so all folks can benefit from the responses.

If you want to...you can "subscribe" to a thread. When response's to the thread are made...you get an e-mail alerting you.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TCondon

Thanks for the info. Your suggestion of uninstalling and then going back to the earlier version would be great if it weren't for the original problem: That plug-in is now blocked, REQUIRING an updated one from Adobe.
QUOTE Thanks
TCondon

I see no "subscribe" button anywhere to follow a thread.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Did you try to uninstall it completely using the uninstaller from Adobe and then reinstall the most current version?

Quote:
I see no "subscribe" button anywhere to follow a thread.
Go to Thread Tools (above your first post) and then click the subscribe option.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TCondon

Okay...I just tried it AGAIN with no luck. Here's what happens:
Adobe Flash Player 11 installation sequence:
initializes then goes to installation. Progress bar passes to 50%, slows then 51, 52 and stops with message: Error: General Installation error
Here is a list of troubleshooting recommended by Adobe and my actions:
Install the latest version of Flash Player for your browser. Follow these steps:
1. Verify that your computer meets the system requirements for Flash Player.
It does
2. Determine whether an older Flash Player version is already installed on your Mac.
It is
3. Download and install the latest Flash Player version.
Does NOT install...stops at 52% progress bar
4. Verify that installation is complete.
It's not
5. Uninstall the older Flash Player version*(if the installation is not successful for any reason).
Done
6. Troubleshoot: Flash Player download issues*(if necessary).
Done...no change
7. Troubleshoot: Progress bar hangs while installing Flash Player
No...stops at 52% and reads: "Error: Genereal Installation Error, in it redundant way.
QUOTE Thanks
TCondon

Update: I still can play some of Netflix Instant Play programs. The question is why them and not other movies? I have attempted to install earlier versions of Flash Player with no luck.

I've uninstalled every Flash Player plug-in and am waiting for someone to advise. Adobe has been ZERO help.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Netflix uses Silverlight, not Flash.

I don't know if the old plugin is blocking things but take a look to see if it's installed. Open up Finder and push Shift-Command-G and enter "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/" (without the quotes). If you see a "Flash Player.plugin" and "flashplayer.xpt", remove them. Try reinstalling.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TCondon

Okay. It sure seems like there's something flagged. I had that thought earlier but wasn't sure how to address it. Thanks! I'll try that and let you know.
QUOTE Thanks
TCondon

Real Player and Quicktime are the only plug-ins there that have anything to do with film/video player (at least that I recognize). I did a pretty clean sweep in the uninstall of Flash Player.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Very confusing mixed reviews on wireless printers | USB 3.0 Expresscard driver help »