Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Mar 18, 2012
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    90
    Specs:
    iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
    G-tech G-raid 4 TB Thunderbolt drive
    I am considering a G-tech G-raid 4 TB Thunderbolt drive (2 discs in RAID 0), because I am tired of waiting for affordable external multibay Thunderbolt enclosures.

    I currently have a 2 TB G-drive (single-disc) FW800 drive for all my photography data, basically the internal drive of my iMac is used for applications only. I plan on using the Thunderbolt drive as boot, application and data drive. In RAID 0 this should give a substantial increase in responsiveness of my system.

    I like the G-Tech units, built like a tank, and they contain very good quality HDD's.

    I searched for info on the internet, found some positive reviews, but I am not fully convinced yet. And, theory and reality may not agree with each other. So I wonder if anyone here already uses a G-Raid Thunderbolt drive, and if so, what is your opinion?

    Regards,

    Thymen

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Oct 25, 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    347
    Specs:
    2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
    Have you looked at the OWC SSD PCIe card/Thunderbolt enclosure? SSD running at faster bus speeds than SATA3. Your machine would scream. 240GB running at ridiculous speeds for $800.

  3. #3

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by lrd View Post
    Have you looked at the OWC SSD PCIe card/Thunderbolt enclosure? SSD running at faster bus speeds than SATA3. Your machine would scream. 240GB running at ridiculous speeds for $800.
    800$ for only 240GB of Space? With that amount of money you can get two or three 4TB drives.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Mar 18, 2012
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    90
    Specs:
    iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
    I am not looking for top performance, as with a RAID 0 SSD setup. The available size of the disks is too small, and also it is way too expensive. Fast, yes... but screaming fast start-up of an application, followed by slow datafile read/write is not what I desire.

    At the moment my entire application/data size is about 1.2 TB, not counting the work-related data that is on a NAS. 2 TB or more in SSD? No way...

    My most favourite setup would be an external, 4-bay enclosure with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0, with four 2 TB disks in RAID 10. That is the best of both worlds. Discs at about 100 each (WD RED), and an enclosure such as the Mercury Elite at 280 would mean an investment of 680 for 4 TB of fast, reliable, platform-independent storage. An investment I can justify and feel comfortable with in making. If only those darned Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 enclosures would surface...

    Alternative is the 2 x 2 TB G-Raid drive in RAID 0, currently at 550, and my FW800 drive for Time Machine. And that is what I hope some of you have experience with. Because on paper it looks good, but I prefer hands-on, real-life experience.

    Thymen

  5. #5

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Thymen View Post
    I am not looking for top performance, as with a RAID 0 SSD setup. The available size of the disks is too small, and also it is way too expensive. Fast, yes... but screaming fast start-up of an application, followed by slow datafile read/write is not what I desire.

    At the moment my entire application/data size is about 1.2 TB, not counting the work-related data that is on a NAS. 2 TB or more in SSD? No way...

    My most favourite setup would be an external, 4-bay enclosure with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0, with four 2 TB disks in RAID 10. That is the best of both worlds. Discs at about €100 each (WD RED), and an enclosure such as the Mercury Elite at €280 would mean an investment of €680 for 4 TB of fast, reliable, platform-independent storage. An investment I can justify and feel comfortable with in making. If only those darned Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 enclosures would surface...

    Alternative is the 2 x 2 TB G-Raid drive in RAID 0, currently at €550, and my FW800 drive for Time Machine. And that is what I hope some of you have experience with. Because on paper it looks good, but I prefer hands-on, real-life experience.

    Thymen
    I have a drobo 5D sitting in my studio. Been so busy I haven't even opened the box yet! Planning on doing a review and setup video. Stay tuned. Probably do it later when I get back from the Windows Store. >_>"""
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  6. #6

    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,202
    Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    I have a drobo 5D sitting in my studio. Been so busy I haven't even opened the box yet! Planning on doing a review and setup video. Stay tuned. Probably do it later when I get back from the Windows Store. >_>"""
    Great choice! I just purchased and installed a Drobo Mini this week. I put 4 750GB WD Black 2.5" drives in it, and an mSATA SSD for the hot data cache. Did you get a SSD for your 5D?
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6s Plus | 64GB iPad Air 2 LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Improved Thunderbolt tech jumps to 20 Gbps, supports 4K video
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM
  2. LaCie 4TB 2big Thunderbolt Series RAID Hard Drive recommendations
    By malfromcessnock in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2012, 10:45 PM
  3. Access to Thunderbolt RAID from bootcamp
    By Lastmboy in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 06:06 PM
  4. 2 X 10K Drive Raid 0 vs Single 15K Non-Raid
    By quadra in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 12:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •