New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

G-tech G-raid 4 TB Thunderbolt drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thymen

Thymen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9

I am considering a G-tech G-raid 4 TB Thunderbolt drive (2 discs in RAID 0), because I am tired of waiting for affordable external multibay Thunderbolt enclosures.

I currently have a 2 TB G-drive (single-disc) FW800 drive for all my photography data, basically the internal drive of my iMac is used for applications only. I plan on using the Thunderbolt drive as boot, application and data drive. In RAID 0 this should give a substantial increase in responsiveness of my system.

I like the G-Tech units, built like a tank, and they contain very good quality HDD's.

I searched for info on the internet, found some positive reviews, but I am not fully convinced yet. And, theory and reality may not agree with each other. So I wonder if anyone here already uses a G-Raid Thunderbolt drive, and if so, what is your opinion?

Regards,

Thymen
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

lrd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

Have you looked at the OWC SSD PCIe card/Thunderbolt enclosure? SSD running at faster bus speeds than SATA3. Your machine would scream. 240GB running at ridiculous speeds for $800.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd View Post
Have you looked at the OWC SSD PCIe card/Thunderbolt enclosure? SSD running at faster bus speeds than SATA3. Your machine would scream. 240GB running at ridiculous speeds for $800.
800$ for only 240GB of Space? With that amount of money you can get two or three 4TB drives.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Thymen

Thymen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9

I am not looking for top performance, as with a RAID 0 SSD setup. The available size of the disks is too small, and also it is way too expensive. Fast, yes... but screaming fast start-up of an application, followed by slow datafile read/write is not what I desire.

At the moment my entire application/data size is about 1.2 TB, not counting the work-related data that is on a NAS. 2 TB or more in SSD? No way...

My most favourite setup would be an external, 4-bay enclosure with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0, with four 2 TB disks in RAID 10. That is the best of both worlds. Discs at about 100 each (WD RED), and an enclosure such as the Mercury Elite at 280 would mean an investment of 680 for 4 TB of fast, reliable, platform-independent storage. An investment I can justify and feel comfortable with in making. If only those darned Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 enclosures would surface...

Alternative is the 2 x 2 TB G-Raid drive in RAID 0, currently at 550, and my FW800 drive for Time Machine. And that is what I hope some of you have experience with. Because on paper it looks good, but I prefer hands-on, real-life experience.

Thymen
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymen View Post
I am not looking for top performance, as with a RAID 0 SSD setup. The available size of the disks is too small, and also it is way too expensive. Fast, yes... but screaming fast start-up of an application, followed by slow datafile read/write is not what I desire.

At the moment my entire application/data size is about 1.2 TB, not counting the work-related data that is on a NAS. 2 TB or more in SSD? No way...

My most favourite setup would be an external, 4-bay enclosure with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0, with four 2 TB disks in RAID 10. That is the best of both worlds. Discs at about €100 each (WD RED), and an enclosure such as the Mercury Elite at €280 would mean an investment of €680 for 4 TB of fast, reliable, platform-independent storage. An investment I can justify and feel comfortable with in making. If only those darned Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 enclosures would surface...

Alternative is the 2 x 2 TB G-Raid drive in RAID 0, currently at €550, and my FW800 drive for Time Machine. And that is what I hope some of you have experience with. Because on paper it looks good, but I prefer hands-on, real-life experience.

Thymen
I have a drobo 5D sitting in my studio. Been so busy I haven't even opened the box yet! Planning on doing a review and setup video. Stay tuned. Probably do it later when I get back from the Windows Store. >_>"""

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I have a drobo 5D sitting in my studio. Been so busy I haven't even opened the box yet! Planning on doing a review and setup video. Stay tuned. Probably do it later when I get back from the Windows Store. >_>"""
Great choice! I just purchased and installed a Drobo Mini this week. I put 4 750GB WD Black 2.5" drives in it, and an mSATA SSD for the hot data cache. Did you get a SSD for your 5D?

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 64GB LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP please, ext HDD from Mac, plugged into PC, now will NOT boot or be seen on MAC.. | Connecting a MAC screen to a KVM switch »