New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Display sizes / aspect ratios

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ctrl-Opt-Del

Ctrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really nice
Mac Specs: Not got one, yet...

All other things being equal, which out of these two 10.1" tablet display resolutions would you say sounds better:

1280x800 (8:5 ratio, 1'024'000 pixels total, 150ppi, just fits standard HD)

or

1366x768 (16:9 ratio, 1'049'088 pixels total, 155ppi, better than HD but not FullHD)

I know the second one seems to have the overall edge in terms of all but frame height (and only misses-out by 32 pixels, a mere 4% less than the other), but I still find myself um-ing and ah-ing over the matter; so I thought I'd come somewhere where I feel I can trust the technical opinions on offer!

For my purposes as an engineering undergraduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl-Opt-Del View Post
All other things being equal, which out of these two 10.1" tablet display resolutions would you say sounds better:
- Are these two tablets from the same or different manufacturers?
- Does one tablet offer features that are preferred over the other tablet...or are they exactly the same?
- How do the two displays look to you (clarity, sharpness, etc.)?

To me...if one tablet offers features that the other tablet doesn't...or one of the displays looks (clarity, sharpness, etc.) better versus the other...these would be much more important reasons to choose one tablet over the other.

Keeping in mind that...two different tablets with exactly the same resolution (1280x800 or 1366x768) can look vastly different. Same thing with two computer displays...both with the same resolution (for example 1920 x 1080)...can look vastly different.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you're going to be watching movies - all other things being equal - I'd probably opt for the 16:9 screen rather than the 16:10 screen - just so I didn't have black bars on the screen while watching videos.

Doesn't really make a lot of difference though - pretty sure my '06 MBP has a 16:10 ratio and never really bothered me that I recall.
And half the movies out there aren't 16:9 anyhow. That's really just a TV show aspect ratio more than anything else.
1366x768 is generally considered 720p - at least by the TV manufacturers.

edit:
Actually, I'd probably look at the manufacturer and go with whichever one is not Samsung - then go with whichever one I liked the exterior appearance better or whichever one had a grippy non-slip material on the back for better holding - why I like the Kindle Fire.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Ctrl-Opt-Del

Ctrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really nice

Would've replied sooner, end-of-semester university work was occupying a huge amount of my time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
- Are these two tablets from the same or different manufacturers?
The first one is an HP ElitePad, the second is an ASUS ME400C ("VivoTab Smart" in North America).

Quote:
- Does one tablet offer features that are preferred over the other tablet...or are they exactly the same?
Aside from the screen resolutions they appear to be more or less identical in specs.

Quote:
- How do the two displays look to you (clarity, sharpness, etc.)?
Not had a chance to see either, so that would be pot luck, but all the reviews I've seen so far indicate they're both good-quality displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I'd probably look at the manufacturer and go with whichever one is not Samsung
Luckily, neither is; so which out of HP (which I've had mixed experiences with) vs. ASUS (my girlfriend's EeePC netbook never seems to have given her too much trouble) sounds better?

Cheers

For my purposes as an engineering undergraduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Between the fact that I do not care for HP computers and the fact that the Asus is over $200 cheaper than the HP here in the U.S. - Asus it would be for me - if you really need a full blown OS on a tablet that is.

If not, I'd probably be looking at the Nexus 10 with it's 2560x1600 display.

QUOTE Thanks
Ctrl-Opt-Del

Quote:
Between the fact that I do not care for HP computers and the fact that the Asus is over $200 cheaper than the HP here in the U.S. - Asus it would be for me - if you really need a full blown OS on a tablet that is.

If not, I'd probably be looking at the Nexus 10 with it's 2560x1600 display.
Assuming they stick to the pre-release pricing, they'll both be 399.99 here (that includes VAT, the UK equivalent of sales tax).

I was thinking of having the tablet as a device I could take both typed and/or handwritten via a stylus university lecture notes on, and also do remote desktop sessions to my workstation PC at home; but actually - thinking about it - I guess I wouldn't need Windows on the tablet for that & could use something like TeamViewer for such a purpose.

Only major problem with the Nexus 10 for me is it is permanently out of stock on the UK Play Store. Also, I would prefer expandability of memory, but the lack of a MicroSD card slot isn't a complete deal-breaker.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

With both of them at the same price and not too bad either, I might be inclined to try out Win 8 on one of them. I'd still be drawn to the Asus over the HP, just because, unless the specs of one really outweigh the other.

I have the Nexus 7, which is made by Asus, and it seems to be a nicely made piece of kit.

QUOTE Thanks
Ctrl-Opt-Del

Quote:
I'd probably look at the manufacturer and go with whichever one is not Samsung
Quote:
I'd probably be looking at the Nexus 10
Just checked & the current Nexus 10 is made by Samsung...

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl-Opt-Del View Post
Just checked & the current Nexus 10 is made by Samsung...
In that case, guess I might have to go with the Kindle Fire HD instead.

Don't tell me who makes Amazon's kindles - don't want to know.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
In that case, guess I might have to go with the Kindle Fire HD instead.

Don't tell me who makes Amazon's kindles - don't want to know.
You're in luck, it's not Samedung.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New External HD not recognized? | Photo printer comparability »