New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External Hard Drive not readable on Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kmanforever

kmanforever is on a distinguished road

My USB port on my hard drive broke so I had the drive transferred into a new enclosure. I just got it back, and the new drive isn't reading to my laptop. I'm getting a notification to either 'Initialize, Ignore, or Eject'. Is there anyway to get it to read without having to erase the entire drive? Thanks, any help is much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 20.png (22.6 KB, 18 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It looks like whoever did the work for you or the process of putting it into a new enclosure wiped the drive. If the drive can't be read without initializing it, you may not be able to recover your data. You might want to give Scannerz software a try. You can download a trial copy to see if it will work to find your data on that drive.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Hate to say this but sure looks like whoever did the work did not know much about Macs and has formatted it to MS DOS or NTFS hence asks to initialize the disk.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think the guys are right but you might try the following. I have had it work a few times when the drive in question had its contents scrambled a bit due to some power issues.

1. Launch Disk Utility and select the drive from the menu on the left.
2. If the option is available select Repair Disk. If it is not available then the drive has likely been formatted.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

If the drive were formatted to DOS or NTFS, it would be readable. The drive is not able to be read according to the OP. The system wants to initialize it which usually means the drive is either bare or the file table is so scrambled that it can't recognize it.

The software I linked him to may be able to read the drive. I'm not even sure that Disk Warrior would work on a drive which is in that condition.
QUOTE Thanks
kmanforever

kmanforever is on a distinguished road

I tried to select repair disk, but it's gray'd out. And the Scannerz demo doesn't seem to scan my external drive. Looking like I may have to reformat the drive and start from scratch. I attached a picture of the drive's information, and it looks like it needs to be formatted. Thanks everyone, and any other input is welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 21.png (178.7 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« magic mouse - recommended mouse mats? | Time Capsule as HD?! »