footballsh0rty
    External Hard drive
    I have a mac mini and i am fairly new to macs and i want to get an external hard drive. I want about 150G drive no more than $200. So if any of you guys have a good one that fits my requirments or just some good companys that make some good external drives.
    Thanks

I just bought a 160 gb external usb segate harddrive from bestbuy for my imac g5 for only 89 dollars. I really like it. Osx recognized it right away.
    I recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by footballsh0rty
    I have a mac mini and i am fairly new to macs and i want to get an external hard drive. I want about 150G drive no more than $200. So if any of you guys have a good one that fits my requirments or just some good companys that make some good external drives.
    Thanks

Specs:
    ibook G4 14in
    i'll second a seagate drive. i recently bought an internal and used an external housing. 200gig seagate and external both for <$200.

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*

Quote Originally Posted by footballsh0rty
    I have a mac mini and i am fairly new to macs and i want to get an external hard drive.
    Make sure you get a Firewire drive (Firewire 400, no need for Firewire 800).

You can't boot from a USB drive and USB 2.0 is approx 2 X slower than Firewire 400 for reading and writing hard drives.

I love the LaCie Firewire Porsche drives; I have two. I know the 160gb one can be had for ~$120. Check www.macmall.com.
    DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
    www.wattsupproductions.com

footballsh0rty
    Quote Originally Posted by djlee12
    I love the LaCie Firewire Porsche drives; I have two. I know the 160gb one can be had for ~$120. Check www.macmall.com.
    Hey,
    I am really looking into this Lacie Firewire Porsche drive, so i was just wondering how long you've had your two drives.
    Thanks

I've had the 160gb every since Tiger came out (I remember ordering them at the same time), so April, which makes 9 months.

The 250gb I've had for about a week, so too early to tell if it will encounter any serious problems.

I, for one, wasn't attracted to purchasing an internal drive and an enclosure. I like the all-in-one form factor of the Porsche's. They look and functions perfectly.

From what I can tell, the drives are of excellent build quality. Until something happens, I will surely keep buying them. If you have any qualms, you can always purchase an extended warranty.

I know I kind of rambled, but I hope that that helps somewhat.
    DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
    www.wattsupproductions.com

Lacie drives
    i have a Lacie external drive and it was recognized by my iBook immediately. i really like it and it is firewire; very FAST transfers. i have had mine for 8 months and use it daily. never a problem.
    A Mac

footballsh0rty
    Thanks guys,
    I ended up buying a MicroNet Mini mate. It was a 160G for $150 and it came with 2 extra firewire ports and 3 extra udb ports. so i thought it wasa good deal. But thanks for all of your help.

Thread Information