New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

HP Scanjet 3400C

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tech Bloke

Tech Bloke is on a distinguished road

I have a Hewlett Packard Scanjet 3400C which I used with my old PC, but now I have a Mac Mini I would like to set it up so that it works with this. I have tried various options and downloading "gettext", libusb, SANE backend and SANE Preference files then installing them, but none of this works. Does anyone have a solution how to get the scanner working?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Hello,
Did you use this resource or will it help ? HP ScanJet on Mac OS X (or any scanner, for that matter) Mindful Technology
Also...and apologies for being judgmental but your scanner seems to be getting old and maybe you could treat your set-up with a newer model?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
Tech Bloke

Thanks pendlewitch but unfortunately I downloaded all those files on that link and it didn't work.

Yes my Scanjet is old, but why should I replace something that works?! We get screwed enough in the computer industry with updating our OS only to find that the software we were using just before the upgrade now doesn't work with the latest version (such as Final Cut Studio 2 and Pro Tools 9.0), as an example, so I will not be compelled to buy another scanner and waste money.

Hopefully one day I will find a way of getting it to work with OSX, but for the present, I'll have to rely on using it with the old PC.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Bloke View Post
Thanks pendlewitch but unfortunately I downloaded all those files on that link and it didn't work.

Yes my Scanjet is old, but why should I replace something that works?! We get screwed enough in the computer industry with updating our OS only to find that the software we were using just before the upgrade now doesn't work with the latest version (such as Final Cut Studio 2 and Pro Tools 9.0), as an example, so I will not be compelled to buy another scanner and waste money.

Hopefully one day I will find a way of getting it to work with OSX, but for the present, I'll have to rely on using it with the old PC.
That's fair comment Tech Bloke but your scanner must be 10+ years old and new ones (including really good all-in-ones) are for nothing comparatively.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
Tech Bloke

Yeah sure I'm aware the prices are low, but it's the principle. I don't believe in wasting money, albeit a relatively small amount.

The industry is forcing us towards all-in-ones but same issue for me: I have a printer along with the scanner that works so there's little point in an "all-in-one" for me and I think it's wholly unnecessary to 'print via the web', especially as most things are accessed electronically these days so the need for paper copies of anything is fast disappearing. So I would then be only using a third of the functionality of the new device which is a waste.

The need for printers and scanners is fast disappearing anyway, especially with people sitting in meetings and they've all got an iPad that they're accessing documents, design templates etc. So there's little point in spending money on old technology such as scanners and printers, I'd rather stay with what I've got and keep it working and then bypass this old way of doing things.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Now I'm all for principles... but why would spending not very much money on a brand new piece of state of the art equipment be a waste of money?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« recommend a game controller? | X Joybox 10 »