New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Samsung 840's Longevity and Reliability

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

As Seen on TV

As Seen on TV is on a distinguished road

I am seriously considering getting a 500GB Samsung 840 (not Pro) being offered at $310 on Adorama.com. My worry is that reviews point to their uncertainty with the longevity and reliability of the drive.

Does anyone have any hard data on this or this just overzealous cautiousness? 3 years warranty's fine with me as I plan to upgrade to a larger, faster, cheaper and better SSD by that time.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The Samsung 840 (not Pro) uses cheaper TLC-type NAND memory, which is (by its nature) subject to less write cycles than MLC, which is used in most SSDs. Assuming you trust Samsung's wear-leveling algorithms and further assuming you trust Samsung's reliability claims, then I'm sure it will be fine. Frankly, I wouldn't trust Samsung-branded anything - and that has nothing to do with any loyalties to Apple - but rather previously experience with short-lived Samsung products.

If you want an attractively-priced SSD that uses MLC, I would take a look at the Crucial M4.

Worth reading: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5067/u...nding-tlc-nand

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
As Seen on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
The Samsung 840 (not Pro) uses cheaper TLC-type NAND memory, which is (by its nature) subject to less write cycles than MLC, which is used in most SSDs. Assuming you trust Samsung's wear-leveling algorithms and further assuming you trust Samsung's reliability claims, then I'm sure it will be fine. Frankly, I wouldn't trust Samsung-branded anything - and that has nothing to do with any loyalties to Apple - but rather previously experience with short-lived Samsung products.

If you want an attractively-priced SSD that uses MLC, I would take a look at the Crucial M4.

Worth reading: AnandTech - Understanding TLC NAND
Thank you for the reply. My concern with the M4 has to do with their at idle power consumption. I will be using it on a MBPro and find it bothersome that at-idle it consumeds double the power of any Samsung SSD.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Seen on TV View Post
Thank you for the reply. My concern with the M4 has to do with their at idle power consumption. I will be using it on a MBPro and find it bothersome that at-idle it consumeds double the power of any Samsung SSD.
I think you'll find trade-offs at every price point, but given the reliability concerns and the underwhelming performance of the Samsung 840, it's a pretty good tradeoff. For what it's worth, upgrading from a 7200rpm Hitachi HDD to the M4 resulted in significant real-world power consumption savings.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
As Seen on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I think you'll find trade-offs at every price point, but given the reliability concerns and the underwhelming performance of the Samsung 840, it's a pretty good tradeoff. For what it's worth, upgrading from a 7200rpm Hitachi HDD to the M4 resulted in significant real-world power consumption savings.
That's the thing isn't it? Any SSD will be better than any HDD. If you want the top of the line SSD pay a premium of 30%.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Radeon HD 4870 or 5770 to upgrade Mac Pro 1,1 2007 2.66 dual core? | Turning off left-right scroll n Excel »