New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Reformat Hard Drive/Move Delete Files SSD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

myvinyl333

myvinyl333 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro

I installed a 120gig SSD on my macbook pro Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 Mountain Lion- How can I reformat the 500gig hard drive that is now a data only drive? Disk utility will not let me reformat-
Also, where do I locate the "other" (yellow) files on the SSD to move or remove them?

Any good info on how to use a 2 hard drive set up in Mac Book Pro?

Thank You Kindly

Keeping Music "LIVE"
http://www.iamnotjerry.com
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Assuming you are booting from the SSD, you should have no problem formatting the old HDD. When you say "Disk Utility will not let me reformat", what exactly precludes you from doing so? Error Message?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If Disk Utility is not allowing you to format, I would guess you are booted to that drive rather than the SSD.

Hold the option key down when you boot the machine to select the SSD - "assuming" you have installed OS X onto the SSD.

You should use the Partition tab in DU.

Other includes the operating system files, email, documents, etc. Everything that is not music, video, apps, photos...

You want to know what all is on your drive, grab WhatSize.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
myvinyl333

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Assuming you are booting from the SSD, you should have no problem formatting the old HDD. When you say "Disk Utility will not let me reformat", what exactly precludes you from doing so? Error Message?
Erasing a disk deletes all data on all its partitions.

This disk has 1 partition:
“Untitled”
Then it appears to reformat disc but all applications remain

Keeping Music "LIVE"
QUOTE Thanks
myvinyl333

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If Disk Utility is not allowing you to format, I would guess you are booted to that drive rather than the SSD.

Hold the option key down when you boot the machine to select the SSD - "assuming" you have installed OS X onto the SSD.

You should use the Partition tab in DU.

Other includes the operating system files, email, documents, etc. Everything that is not music, video, apps, photos...

You want to know what all is on your drive, grab WhatSize.

I am booting from the SSD. I cloned the 500 to the SSD

Keeping Music "LIVE"
QUOTE Thanks
myvinyl333

I checked and the SSD is the desktop, so 500 is not

Keeping Music "LIVE"
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Use the Partition tab - not the Erase tab.

Make sure the top level of the drive is selected - not the existing partition on the drive.

Change the partition scheme to "1 partition" instead of "Current"
name the drive
make sure it's on Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
myvinyl333

I followed tour instructions and all the apps remain present

It did not reformat? What am I missing?

Keeping Music "LIVE"
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

So you hit Apply in the first screen shot, then the confirmation dialog showed up in the second, correct? Do you then see the status bar in the lower-right corner of the Disk Utility window performing the operation?

Are all of your apps quit when you're doing this (in other words, is Disk Utility the only app open?). No Finder windows are open or any external dialogs related to the external HDD?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
myvinyl333

Quote:
So you hit Apply in the first screen shot, then the confirmation dialog showed up in the second, correct? Do you then see the status bar in the lower-right corner of the Disk Utility window performing the operation?

Are all of your apps quit when you're doing this (in other words, is Disk Utility the only app open?). No Finder windows are open or any external dialogs related to the external HDD?
Only Mac forum from SSD, and Disk utility, nothing from 2n Hard Drive

Keeping Music "LIVE"
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Something is hanging the process. Rather than trying to run this with OS X booted, run Disk Utility from the Recovery Options menu.

Turn the Mac off, turn it on and immediately press and hold Command +R. Continue holding until it boots to the Recovery Options menu. From there, click Disk Utility and repeat the process.

QUOTE Thanks
myvinyl333

Quote:
Something is hanging the process. Rather than trying to run this with OS X booted, run Disk Utility from the Recovery Options menu.

Turn the Mac off, turn it on and immediately press and hold Command +R. Continue holding until it boots to the Recovery Options menu. From there, click Disk Utility and repeat the process.
I will try this. Thank you.

Keeping Music "LIVE"
QUOTE Thanks
myvinyl333

I tried it as stated and it did not reformat...

Keeping Music "LIVE"
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

I'm spent. I've been through this procedure probably a dozen times and never had an issue. Are you certain that the hard disk is in good health?

QUOTE Thanks
myvinyl333

I did a check using disc utility and it stated it was healthy, no issues.
Here is what is showing after it formats:

I can contact OWC techs tomorrow. Thank you for helping me.
George

Keeping Music "LIVE"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Partition Check Failed | Digital photo Scanner »