Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1

    myvinyl333's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2010
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    32
    Specs:
    Mac Book Pro
    Reformat Hard Drive/Move Delete Files SSD
    I installed a 120gig SSD on my macbook pro Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 Mountain Lion- How can I reformat the 500gig hard drive that is now a data only drive? Disk utility will not let me reformat-
    Also, where do I locate the "other" (yellow) files on the SSD to move or remove them?



    Any good info on how to use a 2 hard drive set up in Mac Book Pro?


    Thank You Kindly
    Keeping Music "LIVE"
    http://www.iamnotjerry.com

  2. #2

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,918
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Assuming you are booting from the SSD, you should have no problem formatting the old HDD. When you say "Disk Utility will not let me reformat", what exactly precludes you from doing so? Error Message?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,483
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    If Disk Utility is not allowing you to format, I would guess you are booted to that drive rather than the SSD.

    Hold the option key down when you boot the machine to select the SSD - "assuming" you have installed OS X onto the SSD.

    You should use the Partition tab in DU.

    Other includes the operating system files, email, documents, etc. Everything that is not music, video, apps, photos...

    You want to know what all is on your drive, grab WhatSize.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  4. #4

    myvinyl333's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2010
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    32
    Specs:
    Mac Book Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Assuming you are booting from the SSD, you should have no problem formatting the old HDD. When you say "Disk Utility will not let me reformat", what exactly precludes you from doing so? Error Message?
    Erasing a disk deletes all data on all its partitions.

    This disk has 1 partition:
    “Untitled”
    Then it appears to reformat disc but all applications remain
    Keeping Music "LIVE"
    http://www.iamnotjerry.com

  5. #5

    myvinyl333's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2010
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    32
    Specs:
    Mac Book Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Assuming you are booting from the SSD, you should have no problem formatting the old HDD. When you say "Disk Utility will not let me reformat", what exactly precludes you from doing so? Error Message?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    If Disk Utility is not allowing you to format, I would guess you are booted to that drive rather than the SSD.

    Hold the option key down when you boot the machine to select the SSD - "assuming" you have installed OS X onto the SSD.

    You should use the Partition tab in DU.

    Other includes the operating system files, email, documents, etc. Everything that is not music, video, apps, photos...

    You want to know what all is on your drive, grab WhatSize.

    I am booting from the SSD. I cloned the 500 to the SSD
    Keeping Music "LIVE"
    http://www.iamnotjerry.com

  6. #6

    myvinyl333's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2010
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    32
    Specs:
    Mac Book Pro
    I checked and the SSD is the desktop, so 500 is not
    Keeping Music "LIVE"
    http://www.iamnotjerry.com

  7. #7

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,483
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Use the Partition tab - not the Erase tab.

    Make sure the top level of the drive is selected - not the existing partition on the drive.

    Change the partition scheme to "1 partition" instead of "Current"
    name the drive
    make sure it's on Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  8. #8

    myvinyl333's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2010
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    32
    Specs:
    Mac Book Pro
    I followed tour instructions and all the apps remain present




    It did not reformat? What am I missing?
    Keeping Music "LIVE"
    http://www.iamnotjerry.com

  9. #9

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,918
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    So you hit Apply in the first screen shot, then the confirmation dialog showed up in the second, correct? Do you then see the status bar in the lower-right corner of the Disk Utility window performing the operation?

    Are all of your apps quit when you're doing this (in other words, is Disk Utility the only app open?). No Finder windows are open or any external dialogs related to the external HDD?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  10. #10

    myvinyl333's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2010
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    32
    Specs:
    Mac Book Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    So you hit Apply in the first screen shot, then the confirmation dialog showed up in the second, correct? Do you then see the status bar in the lower-right corner of the Disk Utility window performing the operation?

    Are all of your apps quit when you're doing this (in other words, is Disk Utility the only app open?). No Finder windows are open or any external dialogs related to the external HDD?
    Only Mac forum from SSD, and Disk utility, nothing from 2n Hard Drive
    Keeping Music "LIVE"
    http://www.iamnotjerry.com

  11. #11

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,918
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Something is hanging the process. Rather than trying to run this with OS X booted, run Disk Utility from the Recovery Options menu.

    Turn the Mac off, turn it on and immediately press and hold Command +R. Continue holding until it boots to the Recovery Options menu. From there, click Disk Utility and repeat the process.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  12. #12

    myvinyl333's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2010
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    32
    Specs:
    Mac Book Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Something is hanging the process. Rather than trying to run this with OS X booted, run Disk Utility from the Recovery Options menu.

    Turn the Mac off, turn it on and immediately press and hold Command +R. Continue holding until it boots to the Recovery Options menu. From there, click Disk Utility and repeat the process.
    I will try this. Thank you.
    Keeping Music "LIVE"
    http://www.iamnotjerry.com

  13. #13

    myvinyl333's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2010
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    32
    Specs:
    Mac Book Pro
    I tried it as stated and it did not reformat...
    Keeping Music "LIVE"
    http://www.iamnotjerry.com

  14. #14

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,918
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I'm spent. I've been through this procedure probably a dozen times and never had an issue. Are you certain that the hard disk is in good health?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  15. #15

    myvinyl333's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2010
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    32
    Specs:
    Mac Book Pro
    I did a check using disc utility and it stated it was healthy, no issues.
    Here is what is showing after it formats:


    I can contact OWC techs tomorrow. Thank you for helping me.
    George
    Keeping Music "LIVE"
    http://www.iamnotjerry.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Files missing after upgrading hard drive to SSD on Macbook
    By tiko45 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2015, 09:13 PM
  2. Delete files on an external hard drive with my iMac
    By Tabi5Clan in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM
  3. Can not delete files from External Hard Drive
    By macnewbie1978 in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 06:45 PM
  4. Delete unnecessary files on OSX 10.5 hard drive
    By maclover101 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 11:12 PM
  5. Unable to Move/Delete/Copy files onto external hard drive.
    By Cubanboy4 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 11:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •