New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Macbook 13 a1181 screen won't come.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dfoush21

dfoush21 is on a distinguished road

I have an old macbook 13, with a cracked lcd screen and a dead battery that was giving to me. So i decided to open it up and clean it out and replace the screen my self. I took out the ram and hardrive, and then put them back in correctly after I was done. Now my computer just comes on but the screen doesn't, I know the screen wont come if the computer doesnt detect the ram. I know for sure the ram is secure and locked in place because I havent put the l bracket back on. Could you tell me what the problem is or what I did wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
dawson1112

dawson1112 has a spectacular aura about

Was the old broken screen lighting up? Have you tried different ram? Bad ram will cause this issue also.
It could have a bad ccfl inverter. Or you didn't get the inverter plugged in all the way on both ends.
Have you tried to hook it to an external monitor to see if it is displaying any video at all?
QUOTE Thanks
dfoush21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson1112 View Post
Was the old broken screen lighting up? Have you tried different ram? Bad ram will cause this issue also.
It could have a bad ccfl inverter. Or you didn't get the inverter plugged in all the way on both ends.
Have you tried to hook it to an external monitor to see if it is displaying any video at all?
Yes I've turned it on numerous times before i took out the ram, the ram sticks aren't damaged, but I put them in the wrong way the first time by mistake. (would that have effected it) The sticks aren't bad, I dont have the vga cable to hook it up.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Putting the memory modules in backwards (I don't know how you did that, by the way...) quite possibly could have caused damage to the logic board. That's a consideration.
QUOTE Thanks
dfoush21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Putting the memory modules in backwards (I don't know how you did that, by the way...) quite possibly could have caused damage to the logic board. That's a consideration.
yea i'm an idiot.
QUOTE Thanks
dawson1112

dawson1112 has a spectacular aura about

Im not sure how you put the ram in wrong...???
There is a slot in the ram and it will only go in one way. Unless you forced it in witch case you could have cracked the board or one of the hundreds of solder joints that connect the ram bus to the board.
But before you give up , try the sticks one at a time first in one slot then the other. If you don't think you forced the ram in and broke something then I would check to be sure the inverter is connected . Also get a cord to try out an external monitor to see if it is even outputting video.

I don't own a mac,,, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sound problem with my Apple Tv | what is the "Time Capsule"? »