New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Repaired External HD.. can I restore it and use it safely?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dradieee

dradieee is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Recently my 1TB Western Digital My Passport external hard drive wouldn't show up in Finder. I opened up disk utility and ran a repair on it. Here's the image I recieved:

I was able to get all my files off of the external hard drive safely and intact. However, my question is: If I restore it and clear everything off the external HD will I be able to safely use it without an issue? Or am I going to need to do something else before I can safely use it again.

If anyone knows anything to help please let me know!
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Welcome to the forums.

It's impossible to say what caused the errors you saw (unless you know it's been dropped etc).

You can format the disk and use it. However, I wouldn't personally put anything of value or anything you don't have backed up elsewhere on it. Without knowing the cause of the error it's impossible to say it won't happen again

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

^^^ What he said - I toss most of mine when I get a problem - they're too cheap nowadays to take a chance.

Since you've recovered your data, try re-partitioning/format the drive and run Repair on it again.
If you use it, I'd watch it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree with my colleagues. To be honest, I would probably toss that drive and just replace it with a new one. However, keep in mind that WD warrants their drives (I believe for 3 years) so you may be entitled to an RMA and replacement drive. Don't throw it away without contacting them first.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And WD is quite good at replacing drives during warranty. With a CC number, I've had my replacement drives arrive in 1-2 days from initial email to them.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dradieee

dradieee is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much everyone! I've only had it for a little bit over a year so I'll contact WD and see what they tell me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook to LG TV | SSD Speeds: Faster Reads or equal? »