New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

11x17 Color Inkjet/Laser Printer Recommendation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I believe my 10 year old HP Deskjet 1220c is finally checking out. Page count is at 22,000. I'm looking for a recommendation of a new model. It's a shame too, because on a good day you can pick up refilled black HP 45 cartridges online for $5 a pop. Important factors are:

Accepts wide format paper. 11x17.
Halfway decent OS X compatibility.
Low cost per page ink. I usually buy refilled cartridges online.

It's not a requirement, but an all-in-one w/ a copier would be a small plus. I guess I would pay a little more for it. I have no use for a fax feature. I abandoned the landline a couple years ago.

I'm happy with an inkjet, but I suppose I should also consider a color laser as the costs have come down over the years.

Any suggestions based on the top three requirements above?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Color Laser printers are still too expensive when replacing consumables. There are several on line suppliers that refill them, but the quality is questionable. I usually recommend avoid buying one unless you have a business.

My latest purchases of all in one printers have been Canon and Epson. Both serve me well and refilled chipped cartridges are readily available from on line suppliers at one third the cost of buying them new. I doubt you'll find a good work horse printer like your 1220C any more but you never know. HP nowadays seems to make disposable printers. Low cost but not long lasting.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

So far, the Epson 7510 seems to have the best mix of all of the above and get high reviews. I thought Cyber Monday would yield a great deal, but so far all the printer sales I've looked at just match Amazon's normal prices.

Amazon.com: Epson WorkForce WF-7510 Wireless All-in-One Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, Fax (C11CA96201): Electronics
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

That's a nice printer. I'm not sure you'll find it any less expensive than that. Don't forget to check around to see what refilled cartridges will cost. Epson has two styles of cartridges available for their printers: Low capacity and high capacity. I always buy the high capacity cartridges as the low will run out very quickly.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

We've switched over to Canon and Epson from HP at our office also. Both so far have been pretty good work horses. As chscag suggests, get the large ink cartridges for the Epson.

Put an Epson in my office - old HP finally gave up after somewhere between 150-200,000 pages. Still have 1 of them going from 2000. Wish I'd switched long ago - this thing prints about 3 pages in regular mode in the time the old HP printed 1 in draft.

Watched Amazon a lot over the weekend - they've just not had much in the way of printers - best printer I've seen on gold box was $150 retail - all the rest, even in All Deals, have been sub $100 machines.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Wow that is a nice printer. I paid close to 400 for just a Photo printer and it doesn't even do any scanning but it does print on CDs. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Printer is not working | Flatbed/Document scanner »