New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

250GB WD Scorpio Blue? Yay or nay?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ChrisMan287

ChrisMan287 can only hope to improve

For my PowerBook, I have the opportunity to get a brand new 250GB 5400RPM WD Scorpio Blue with Leopard installed for $75 shipped. I would replace my 120GB Hitachi with the WD.

Would it be worth it? Someone told me it's as fast as a 100GB 7200RPM but I'm not sure how true that is.

Also, how reliable are they? I've seen some good and bad reviews. I'm not sure if I want to take a chance on it.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
For my PowerBook, I have the opportunity to get a brand new 250GB 5400RPM WD Scorpio Blue with Leopard installed for $75 shipped.
How is a brand new hard drive being sold with Leopard already installed on it?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
How is a brand new hard drive being sold with Leopard already installed on it?
I told him I'd be interested in it after I buy an extra external HD to make a CCC back up. He said he could install Leopard on it for me so I don't have to do all that (I don't have the Leopard disc).
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

Bump.

If I do buy the hard drive, it will be clean. I have CCC and will be making a bootable back up later on today.

So.. does anyone have any experience with these HDs? Is it true that it would be as fast as a 100GB 7200RPM?

15" PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD ; 16GB iPad2.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
I told him I'd be interested in it after I buy an extra external HD to make a CCC back up. He said he could install Leopard on it for me so I don't have to do all that (I don't have the Leopard disc).
That wouldn't be legal, unless he is going to be giving you the official Leopard disc as well as part of the sale.

Looking at this review, the Scorpio Blue's benchmark numbers stack up quite well against Scorpio Black (7200 RPM) and are better than a Toshiba 5400 RPM drive..

So it looks like it might be a nice 5400 RPM drive..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

And, to attempt to give my layman's explanation on how a 250GB 5400 RPM drive could be faster than a 100GB 7200 RPM, the rationale goes like this.

1) The 7200 drive spins 33% faster than a 5400 drive, so all else being equal it would be 33% faster on data handling
but
2) Each revoloution the head encounters 2.5 times as many data bits on the 250 drive as the 100 drive due to higher storage density.

So the net of that is the 5400 RPM drive is potentiallly faster than the 7200 RPM drive because of the difference in storage density.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
That wouldn't be legal, unless he is going to be giving you the official Leopard disc as well as part of the sale.
I believe he has the gray disc which is why I didn't want it but he said I could have it for $40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
So it looks like it might be a nice 5400 RPM drive..
Hopefully he still has it in a few weeks. I'll probably snag it. He said $70 shipped without the OS installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
And, to attempt to give my layman's explanation on how a 250GB 5400 RPM drive could be faster than a 100GB 7200 RPM, the rationale goes like this.. So the net of that is the 5400 RPM drive is potentiallly faster than the 7200 RPM drive because of the difference in storage density.
Thanks for the explanation I figured but wasn't 100% sure. So it would definitely be faster than my 5400 Hitachi. That would be a nice plus.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

That drive is only $50 from newegg and amazon.

The 500GB drive is $60 at amazon and $70 at newegg.

Never buy a hard drive without at least verifying the price at both of those 2 places.

And yes, the "areal density" is the reason it's faster than the older hard drives.
You can google areal density.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
That drive is only $50.
The drives that you linked are SATA drives. For my older Mac, it's PATA.

$120 shipped from NewEgg

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Ahhh - didn't even think about that - yeah, everyone is asking a premium for those now - long day at work today.

QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Ahhh - didn't even think about that - yeah, everyone is asking a premium for those now - long day at work today.
I understand.

It's like how I paid a premium for 2GB of DDR RAM. $55!

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Well, that's still better than the $350 I was paying for a pair of 512MB sticks of RAM for overclocking some of my custom builds back in the day.

QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

Update:

So I ended up buying the drive. I just couldn't pass up that $70 shipped deal. It is infact brand new in the original packaging and box. I can't wait to install it! I'm just waiting on my Macally enclosure so I can clone my HD, install the new one and keep the old one as a back up.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using bootcamp on an SSD on 10.7 | Sound problem with my Apple Tv »