New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Gaming Mouse??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

roberto_sc

roberto_sc is on a distinguished road

Hello
I'd like recommendations on wireless gaming mouses that could be used without a dongle.

Most wireless mouses come with a dongle, but I'd like one that would be recognized by OSX in a MacBook Pro Retina without using the dongle.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

you would have to use a Bluetooth mouse, which is not conducive to gaming. The polling for BT mice is too slow to allow for the fast-paced games. Even for something like World of Warcraft, BT mice have startup delays even when not used for a few seconds. This is why true gaming mice have their own dongles.

I use the Logitech G700 which has a tiny, low-profile dongle. You will need a small app called Steermouse in order to program it, however, as Logitech seems to not want to program for OSX.

I like the Razor mice for gaming, and I am waiting to get one of their new ones. Razor has had the foresight to actually code for OSX. However I dont usually buy products until the old ones die. The one I am looking at getting is the Ouroboros: Razer Ouroboros Gaming Mouse - Ambidextrous Ergonomics Mouse

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
roberto_sc

Hi Deckyon, thank you for your answer.
There are some mouse that support both wired mode for gaming and wireless for other uses, like Razer Orochi.

AFAIK, its wireless mode is via bluetooth, so I wonder if Mac OS would recognize it. I don't want to buy 2 mouses, one for gaming and one Apple Magic Mouse. Also, MacBook has only 3 USB ports, so I don't wanna lose one with a dongle. However, I don't care if I had to wire it when playing games.

Unfortunately I don't live in the US, so I'll try to buy one mouse in a trip to Japan. I'm trying to get a list of mouses that meet those requirements, since I don't know what I'm going to find there. Orochi, your G700 and Ouroboros are on the list (it seems that Ouroboros already launched there).
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Bluetooth is not conducive to gaming. It's polling is too slow, making the mouse's optics to go to sleep, so to speak, after a short period of inactivity. I have put this to the test, and it is annoying when trying to get the mouse moving only to have it be a heartbeat too slow in many cases.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
roberto_sc

Yes, what I meant to say is that there are mouses that are wired and wireless. You use bluetooth for common applications and plug the wire when playing games.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« is there any usb wifi adapter?(usb lan card) working on OSX 10.8 (mountain lion)?? | Connecting external monitor »